• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Jumping speedo needle

Mustang Stevo

Hey guys I have this intermittent problem with the speedo in my 91 LX. Usually 40-65 mph the needle starts to jump all the way of the 140. Kinda of chirps a bit when it does it as well. Just started doing this a couple months ago. Any ideas?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
yep, sounds like it needs replacing. Its a cable that breaks sometimes cost around 25.00 dollars at Autozone. Pretty easy to replace...

I also have seen a speedo gear break and cause the samething.. They are made of plastic and it gets hot in the tranny and causes them to fail...

I will try and get diagrams up if I remember when I get home...

Mustang Stevo

It's really weird. I'll be driving along and the speedo will read normal then all of a sudden it will jump to 140 mph and kinda jumpy. You think the cable would possibly be intermittent like that?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
It's really weird. I'll be driving along and the speedo will read normal then all of a sudden it will jump to 140 mph and kinda jumpy. You think the cable would possibly be intermittent like that?
yep.., it a cable that breaks inside a plastic outer... You can also check your firewall and see if there is something binding it up...