• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Veterans Affairs employees destroyed veterans’ medical records to cancel backlogged exam requests

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/02/2...vets-medical-records-eliminate-requests-exams

Department of Veterans Affairs employees destroyed veterans’ medical records to cancel backlogged exam requests
By Patrick Howley, The Daily Caller

Employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) destroyed veterans’ medical files in a systematic attempt to eliminate backlogged veteran medical exam requests, a former VA employee told The Daily Caller.
Audio of an internal VA meeting obtained by TheDC confirms that VA officials in Los Angeles intentionally canceled backlogged patient exam requests.
“The committee was called System Redesign and the purpose of the meeting was to figure out ways to correct the department’s efficiency. And one of the issues at the time was the backlog,” Oliver Mitchell, a Marine veteran and former patient services assistant in the VA Greater Los Angeles Medical Center, told TheDC.
“We just didn’t have the resources to conduct all of those exams. Basically we would get about 3,000 requests a month for [medical] exams, but in a 30-day period we only had the resources to do about 800. That rolls over to the next month and creates a backlog,” Mitchell said. ”It’s a numbers thing. The waiting list counts against the hospitals efficiency. The longer the veteran waits for an exam that counts against the hospital as far as productivity is concerned.”
By 2008, some patients were “waiting six to nine months for an exam” and VA “didn’t know how to address the issue,” Mitchell said.
VA Greater Los Angeles Radiology department chief Dr. Suzie El-Saden initiated an “ongoing discussion in the department” to cancel exam requests and destroy veterans’ medical files so that no record of the exam requests would exist, thus reducing the backlog, Mitchell said.
Audio from a November 2008 meeting obtained by TheDC depicts VA Greater Los Angeles officials plotting to cancel backlogged exam requests.

Ford1288

Donator
Doesn't surprise me. Only reason you'd see me step into the VA again is if im dying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I have been with VA since 1993 and they were pretty bad back then. Since, there has been quite an improvement. Since I transferred to VA San Diego, it has been great. I have had great care through VA Hospital for an inpatient treatment and my primary doctor has been great. So, my experiences has been wonderful.