• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Axle Braces

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I will be pulling my axle soon to get the tubes welded, but as insurance I will be welding braces on the tubes. I did a google search and when I saw how easy the braces would be to make, I did! :)

http://thesouthernoutlawshop.com/cart/viewitem.php?groupid=2&productid=13

The pipes I cut from solid 3/4" 4130 steel and then a machinist drilled and started the tap for me so it would be straight, then I finished them off. I made some mounting tabs and ordered up some rod ends from summit.

Here is a pic of the kit I made. I will post pics of the install.

DSCN0583.jpg

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
FYI, I didn't guesstimate enough extra length for the rod ends and the braces are a little too long. My mounting tabs would end up all the way over by the springs. I made them 12", but I'm going to cut about 2" off and rethread one end and it should be good to go.

02gt

how would the housing be under alot of stress? I would think that braces would needed if your making 800 hp maybe, or is it another way to make the car closer to a 2800 LB rock with wheels

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well after finding out I made these too long, I cut 2" off and had them re-drilled and re-tapped. They are now 10" long not including the rod ends.

I welded the mounting tabs on and It's done. This was really easy and you don't have to take the axle out of the car. Anytime you TRIANGULATE you create strength. These would have likely prevented my axle tubes from ever spinning, but I'm taking the axle to get the tubes welded today regardless. Here is the end result.

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0587.jpg

Daniboy1983

When you installed the braces did you install the braces and then tighten them down to create any preload on the tubes or did you just snug them up? Just wondering.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
When you installed the braces did you install the braces and then tighten them down to create any preload on the tubes or did you just snug them up? Just wondering.

No preload. I actually just purchased some SOLID rod ends so there will be no movement what so ever. Once they are in place they don't need to be adjusted.