• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Having problems with my 89 5.0

Alabama stang

I'm haveing a issue. When my car warms up and under a load on acceleration it is " seems like it is missing. Not a constant miss like a bad plug wire. It kinda a erratic miss. Like it running out of fuel. Runs fine at a constant speed. But accelerate and it goes nuts.
I've replaced the fuel pump 4 times now. New regulator , filter, checked all the injectors new plugs, wires,cap New coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Sounds like bad O2 sensors. only way to know for sure is to run the codes. You can pick up an eec-IV code scanner for like 35 bucks from most autoparts stores.

Alabama stang

That is a good start. I don't know what has been going on. The first 2 pumps where bad. Showed on the gauge. The third. Was a guess. I've got a mechanic that probably run the codes for me for free. But if not. I'll get one. Thanks for the info. I'm like pulling my hair out. Pouring $ into her. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit more drivable

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Codes is the best place to start. Also try cleaning your MAF and check all of your grounds.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Get the code reader...I'm betting on the EGR. If you have someone in the chapter that will allow you to swap EGRs, it wont cost you a nickle and only a short amount of time.

Alabama stang

Most of the emission components don't exist on the car. And they are saying unless my check engine light is on. No codes will pull up. Here in Alabama that's the first thing to go is the smog pump. My mechanic seems to think its the wires breaking down under a load. But he also said it could be the distributer Car gets good a warm. It starts acting like its misfiring

Alabama stang

But I do have a EGR valve. At idle I can hear a vacuum leak. That seems to be coming from the valve which I've never noticed

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Thats not true at all. The computer will throw codes and not a check engine light. that is more true in newer vehicles but in a fox you can never rely on the CEL to tell you something is wrong.

Alabama stang

Ok just going on some other advice. Defiantly will check into a code reader. Sounds like a better route. Rather than to just keep replacing things
Thanks for sending me in the right direction