• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help!!

jhandi

FINALLY all this time later i have the engine fully assembled and everything and i ran into my first issue that ive at least heard is pretty common:

timing the engine.

first time the car turned over it caught, fired, and then fire-balled out the carb.

second time i lit the carb on fire and burnt my hand putting it out

so i pull the distributor and drop it back down in, and retime it at 6 degrees as the factory manual states and what happens next?

SUCCESS!! it starts... or so i thought:

she started, and idle kinda rough and when i went to give it throttle it choked out and died

shortly after it got dark on me and when i came back the next day i havent even gotten it to fire since.... i feel like im in a little over my head and i really need my car to get to school... what should i do?? and suggestions or advice?

DrunkFatguy

What kind of carb do you have installed and what condition is it in? If it's a Holley you may have wasted the power valve with that backfire(and subsequent backfires). Start by re-indexing your distributer to number one cylinder(at tDC) and number one plug on the cap, check your firing order. BTW did you have the timing gears off? If you did you may have gotten it off by a tooth causing some problems. BTW what type of Ignition system do you have? Is it Points, Electronic aftermarket like MSD or Mallory?

jhandi

i have an autolite 2100 2 barrel (or a 2150, not particurlarly sure but i think theyre both very similar) and i got it new last summer and its been used for maybe 100 miles or so;

and ive redone the distributor at least a dozen times, and each time i end up with it in the same place and consequently ive memorized the firing order and im positive its right, i did take the timing gears off to put a new timing chain on but i made sure to be careful when lining the marks back up

and the ignition system is a points type, with new wiring, coil, plugs, plug wires, solenoid switch, battery etc.... pretty much everything except the starter itself and the voltage regulator