• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

just some pointers in the right direction

TEXSSP91

Hey guys whats up?. My name is Cody and I'm new to the Mustang world. I've been other the other side making 500 horses with half of the displacement that my new Mustang has, and I liked it, but you also had to spend some money in those 4 cylinders to make it, and it wasn't all that reliable after. I drove my old Civic every day, and I can tell you every thing you need to know about Hondas. I'm not by any means a ricer person. My cars looked good and I know what it needed to go fast, and I looked away form the Mustang world cuz every one and thier mom had one, and makin power, but how many actually FAST civics has any one seen? Not many. So thats what I did. Well I got tired of that scene and crossed over to my true roots. So I kinda need some help with some things. I am very mechanically inclined but, some of the stuff that I want to do I want to use mostly ford parts for the:

1. rear disc swap
2. 5 lug swap from a 94 - 95 but want bigger Cobra brake. Any one can buy I kit I want to see if I can go a cheaper route.
3. 351w swap; whats entailed in this?. I heard it was a NIGHTMARE ..
4. whats the suspention set up that you guys have and wheres a good cheap kind of place to get a good product on some of the 'name" brands
5. T-56 swap. whats entailed with this?
6. ANY INFO on SSP cars. Like what's the differences vs. reg notch backs
7. 5.0 explorer heads worth it? or buy aftermarket? And if so, what would be a good size like AFR 185s ? i want all motor in this one and maybe use like the heads on my 351 once I get it finished

I want to storke it out to 408 I think and but with some TWINS on it LOL. I love turbo charging stuff LOL

Any help will be cool. I'm just kinda new at this. I'm a fast learner. LOL. Ok guys, well any help would be awsome. K, thanks alot. Hope to see ya'll at some meets.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Swapping to a 351w is easy as pie. I will help you later. Right now I have to go pick up my son from school.

Tommy

I have a 90 SSP coupe. I bought stock other than Subframe connectors.

here are my pics along the way of the build: http://s401.photobucket.com/albums/pp91/tommayorga/93 SSP CHP Mustang/?start=all

My major mods so far:

347 stroker, forged internals
5 lug swap, Cobra front and Lincoln disc rear
and many, many , many supporting mods throughout the build.

I'm about to go to AFR 185 heads, Holley SysteMax intake, K Member, front and rear coil overs, upper/lower control arms (and possibly a Vortech).... blah, blah, blah.

It seems like we are headed in a similar direction, other than you'll be going faster with a 408 :rofl:

There are plenty of Fox fanatics that will help you out. I've learned a lot along the way.

Tommy

By the way, a few differences between SSP and non-SSP Foxes:

-Trunk release relocated under steering column
-Upgraded alternator
-Larger radiator
-Oil cooler ("sandwich" cooler between oil filter and block)
-Single key locks. One key opens doors, trunk and turns ignition VS having seperate door key in non-SSP Foxes
-In front of radiator, attached to core support, you'll have the buck tags showing 'POLICE' stamped on it.

If yours had patrol duty you'll have holes for the spotlights, possibly whip antenna, holes cut out under front bumper cover for PA Siren

You can find much more info on many forums, but here's at least one: http://www.sspmustang.org/

TEXSSP91

I have a 90 SSP coupe. I bought stock other than Subframe connectors.

here are my pics along the way of the build: http://s401.photobucket.com/albums/pp91/tommayorga/93 SSP CHP Mustang/?start=all

My major mods so far:

347 stroker, forged internals
5 lug swap, Cobra front and Lincoln disc rear
and many, many , many supporting mods throughout the build.

I'm about to go to AFR 185 heads, Holley SysteMax intake, K Member, front and rear coil overs, upper/lower control arms (and possibly a Vortech).... blah, blah, blah.

It seems like we are headed in a similar direction, other than you'll be going faster with a 408 :rofl:

There are plenty of Fox fanatics that will help you out. I've learned a lot along the way.

I would REALLY like to see you car some time for real ... yea that 5 lug swap and the axel swap is right donw my ally IM really interested in how you did the axle swap did it bolt right up fo ddi you have to cut and weld the mounts on the axel for it ... and lol .. but i think that i might keep it all motor for now till i get the 408 built .. but i want to be able to still have some power adn do it right while im building the other motor cuz with every thing else i want to do it will take a while .. lol ..
i got lucky .. the motor was swaped in the car before it was retired .. and then my friend tha ti bought it from NEVER DROVE IT .. so from them i think that the engines got liek 20.000 on it .. and thats it .. and he was saying that they SWAPED a 5.0 svo engine in it that was a crate motor .. that they had bought so ... i knwo that SVO are 4 bangers ... i dont really knwo what he is talking about cuz i asked him SVT no he said SVO .. so .. do you knwo any thing abou that ... ok .. well thanks man ..

Tommy

Ford Racing / SVO does make aftermarket performance parts, as well as crate engines. The SVO Mustang was a factory built turbo 4 cyl.

I think it would be easier for me to show you what I've done rather than type it all in. This way you can either take pics or notes. There's also MustangCWO and Orange395W that have put a lot of time, sweat and money into thier foxes and can help guide you. I'm fairly new at this too :D but I benefit from working at home plus having enough tools and basic knowledge to do my own work.

TEXSSP91

Ford Racing / SVO does make aftermarket performance parts, as well as crate engines. The SVO Mustang was a factory built turbo 4 cyl.

I think it would be easier for me to show you what I've done rather than type it all in. This way you can either take pics or notes. There's also MustangCWO and Orange395W that have put a lot of time, sweat and money into thier foxes and can help guide you. I'm fairly new at this too :D but I benefit from working at home plus having enough tools and basic knowledge to do my own work.

i also have thsoe and every thing that i have built have been with these 2 hands .. lol . execpt for piant and machineing .. lol ..about the SVO .. how would i find out that its a real SVO crate engine .. and whats the differanc ei tried looking but couldnt FUIND any thing .. ok .. well thanks agine .. i cant wait to see your car

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
i wouldnt get a T-56 unless you are gonna be on the freeway alot. i dont use all the gears in mine around town at all. they are expensive to make bullet resistant. id go with a built tko.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I'm sure there is a 351w swap parts list out there, but off the top of my head you will have to change:

Oil Pan
Oil pump
Intake
Drivers side accessory bracket
Balancer (351's are 28ox balance) - unless you get 0 balance
Flywheel (351's are 28ox balance) - unless you get 0 balance
Headers
Distributor

If you are going to put stock or 185's on a 408w, don't build a 408w. You will choke it and you mind as well have left it a 302. I run Vic jr's out of the box on my 393w and they do ok for me. If I could buy heads right now I would likely get some TFS R heads. Anyway, hope that helps.

FYI: If you are truely planning to go 351w and you aren't planning to run AC, I have the power steering pump bracket that you will need.

M

Mustangcwo

Just sitting in the background watching...keep it coming boys.

TEXSSP91

ok another thing .. i want edis .. any one ever converted it ? and whats mega squirt .. i came across all this .. seaching for edis .. swap and stuff .. so .. well please any one let me know thank

Ford1288

Donator
Lol this guys got the thrist for some knowledge! Try and combine all the things you want to talk about into an organized single post or just focus on one thing right now. It will help bud. Nice to see another fox around.

TEXSSP91

Lol this guys got the thrist for some knowledge! Try and combine all the things you want to talk about into an organized single post or just focus on one thing right now. It will help bud. Nice to see another fox around.

lol .. yea ...i do ive kinda been around the block on every thing now .. and ive heard of the stuff at least .. but im just trin to learn every thing that i can .. lol . so i can pick .. which dirrection i want to go in .

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Your spelling and speed typing is painful to read. Slow down in all aspects, so we can understand you. I don't even know what you are trying to ask in post #12.

Lastly, do you even have any money? The last guy who went on a rant like this couldn't get a loan!

Ford1288

Donator
Yeah, No one has a problem helping you out and giving advice but make sure your serious about it and dont waste our time. So get your thoughts together and clearly express them to us and we will do our best to help!

Daniboy1983

What is your budget?

I don't know a ton, but here's what little bit of help I can offer.

Brakes/5 Lug Swap:
On my fox I used the spindles and brakes off a 94 for the front. i bought some good brake lines and used the Steeda X2 balljoints. Those balljoints are expensive but I think they are worth it. Some may disagree. The front was VERY easy with the spindle, brake line, and balljoint swap. That is not the cheapest way to do it, but it is the right way. This also allows MANY more brake options. Cobra brakes bolt right up.

In the rear I bought new axles and some adaptor plates so I could mount the 94 brakes. This required a little brake line massaging but still a very simple mod. There are seperate brackets for the standard brakes and the cobra brakes so pay attention to that. I felt this was the best way to swap to 5 lugs and do the disc swap since it keeps everything the stock width. Again not the cheapest but it won't create any problems for me in the future. I like to run 275's out back so keeping the stock width was important.

There are many ways to do the 5 lug/disc swap and lots of info on it. That is just how I did mine. You might want to start a new thread.

351 Swap:
See orange395w.

Suspension:
Drag racing, street, autox, road racing? What kind of driving do you plan on doing? Start a new thread.

T-56 Swap:
Bring a FAT wallet and you are set. jk I haven't done it but it looks simple with the right parts.

SSP info:
I've got none but it seems like it has been covered already.

Heads:
Aftermarket heads a worth their weight in gold when making power, but that still depends on your motor. We need more info. Start a new thread.

Startng new threads will keep everyone on the same page, which will also allow us to better help you.

TEXSSP91

Your spelling and speed typing is painful to read. Slow down in all aspects, so we can understand you. I don't even know what you are trying to ask in post #12.

Lastly, do you even have any money? The last guy who went on a rant like this couldn't get a loan!

lol... i understand but yes i have enough money but not to do every thing at once no ... and i will not tri to waist yalls time ... but i want to learn ... like ive said before ive built cars before alot of hondas ,1983 ss monte carlo , and a couple diesels and my bothers camaro i know those car i know what swaps and tricks of the trade i just wanted to see what you guys have done before and then i take my route ...so i will wait to post ... one thing at a time that i want to tackel so that will be 5lug swap brakes ... and i want to use the car for drag racing and just a street machine ...that can handel some turns if i need it too .. but mostly for a stright line ...

the engine is a SVO crate engine the 285 horse basicly a cobra bottom end with iron gt40 heads other than that its stock

and thanks for every one helping ..that posted ...and ill clean up my typing and spelling .. lol .. i just type way to fast adn dont proof read any thing .. lol ..

but what was wanting to say in post 12 was that .. i wanted to see if that any one had done the edis swap .. and if so was it worth it so .

ill make new threads on the thing tht i want to tackel one at a time ..

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
lol... i understand but yes i have enough money but not to do every thing at once no ... and i will not tri to waist yalls time ... but i want to learn ... like ive said before ive built cars before alot of hondas ,1983 ss monte carlo , and a couple diesels and my bothers camaro i know those car i know what swaps and tricks of the trade i just wanted to see what you guys have done before and then i take my route ...so i will wait to post ... one thing at a time that i want to tackel so that will be 5lug swap brakes ... and i want to use the car for drag racing and just a street machine ...that can handel some turns if i need it too .. but mostly for a stright line ...

the engine is a SVO crate engine the 285 horse basicly a cobra bottom end with iron gt40 heads other than that its stock

and thanks for every one helping ..that posted ...and ill clean up my typing and spelling .. lol .. i just type way to fast adn dont proof read any thing .. lol ..

but what was wanting to say in post 12 was that .. i wanted to see if that any one had done the edis swap .. and if so was it worth it so .

ill make new threads on the thing tht i want to tackel one at a time ..

I don't have a clue what edis even is, so I'm pretty sure I haven't done it. :rofl: