• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newbie Header ?

SN95cobra04

This is my first Mustang, and first American car for that matter, and I got a question. I have UPR O\R x-pipe and Borla cat back. I want to get headers but do i need to get LT's, Mid's, or shorties? This is on a 04 Cobra too by the way. Thanks for the help.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
This is my first Mustang, and first American car for that matter, and I got a question. I have UPR O\R x-pipe and Borla cat back. I want to get headers but do i need to get LT's, Mid's, or shorties? This is on a 04 Cobra too by the way. Thanks for the help.

Are you in registered in Cali? Then LT are out of the question.. There are no LT emission legal headers.. For Headers, I would go with JBA or Kooks they make quality stuff...

SN95cobra04

No I'm registered in Florida so I don't have to worry about all that emissions crap here. I'm from Cali so I know all about it. I've had my visits to the State Ref and I won't go through all that again. thanks for the input. Do you know if I need LT's or Mid's or Shorty's though for my specific application thought? That's what I'm Loki g for.

Ferocious

Chula Vista
Longtubes will require a new shorty mid-pipe. With shorty headers, you can run your upr o/r x-pipe without any modifications.

SN95cobra04

Ok got it. That's what I was thinking but wasn't positive. Thank you. Now, would there be a huge difference if I get the shorty's and keep my current setup compared to if I got a new mid pipe and LT's?

Ferocious

Chula Vista
You would get a noticeable difference in power. LT's give more power in the higher RPM range. Since your car is supercharged, the longtubes will do wonders. Shorty's wont really give you much horsepower on the other hand.

I plan on running LT's on my mustang once i pass smog. CA laws suck, but that ain't gonna stop me.

SN95cobra04

Yea no lie about the laws. I had to "smog" my car just to get freakin base stickers!!! All because Cali is that broke they wanna charge all the out of state military to pay for a smog test. Ok I'll start saving my pennies for some LT's then. JBA's seem to be the choice around here.

Ford1288

Donator
Go with long tubes. You will lose a tad of boost, but will gain horsepower. Just remember installation on your car is a biotch.

SN95cobra04

Yea that's what I've read. Have to drop the k member and then drop the motor a few inches. Sounds like a whole days work and a lot of fun.

fangs99

where in FL are you?.......and whats your budget? JBA's arn't cheap and if I'm going to spend that kind of $$$$$ i'd go with Kooks, ARH's, or SW........but if your budget is looking like BBK's....Get the MAC longtubes...the fit nice...then you can pick between O/R H, X or Prochamber.

SN95cobra04

I'm in SD. I was stationed at NATTC in pcola a few years ago. I think I'll get the JBA's soon when I get the insurance money from my DD that got stolen.