• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Fukstain Thread 6 Cowl Rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
The main reason that people rehab the cowl is because they rust out. The drain holes for the cowl end up clogged from debris and then the water sits in the cowl area which starts the corrosion process. When the cowl is repaired, most times people have to drill out all the spot welds that hold the top of the cowl on. There are approximately 270 of them. After they take the upper cowl off they would find the issues with the lower cowl and repair. Sometimes people will use products such as POR 15 to cover any pinholes in the lower cowl. This is not a correct way to repair the cowl. The cowl needs to be strong as it is a critical component of the UNIBODY car. Covering with POR 15 will stop the leaking of water and stuff through it, but it isnt as strong as putting new metal in.

Ok the cowl for my car is still solid and doesnt leak. So I did not have to disassemble all of this, and I am relieved as it is a large project.

I am only sanding down and then rustproofing and priming.

Here are a few pics of what I got accomplished today. I cleaned up the Drivers cowl side area, driver and passenger cowl front lip, and started to try to vacuum out the inside of the cowl. As I continue I will update this thread.

Passenger side cowl.
100_0586.jpg

Passenger side cowl full view.
100_0587.jpg

Drivers side cowl full view
100_0588.jpg

Drivers side cowl.
100_0590.jpg

More to come.....

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I still have to get in between all those damn little grilles, I think I am gonna just fire up the blaster this weekend.

I had the little guy working on the dash areas so this weekend I plan on finishing that up with the blaster so why not hit the cowl at the same time.

Gib

Status
Not open for further replies.