• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Fukstain update again

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
OK so I found out why all my measurements for installing my rear frame rails were off....... the rear of the car is up in the air, and the front is on the ground. Therefore there is a very forward lean to the car. Well when taking my measurements from point a to point b, I was putting a plumb bob on the rear of the frame rail at the spot to measure from.....this is so that I could measure level from A to B. Well with the back end up in the air, the plumb bob string was hanging at an angle not square to the spot. Therefore it was throwing off my measurements........

I realized this today while teaching Manuevering Boards in the school I teach......Danny would understand what I mean and VP too. The angle made my measurements off always short unless I moved the piece well ahead of where it was supposed to be.......then other measurements would not line up right.....

Also, after speaking with Emilio and several other people, I have a new direction. Due to cost associated with making this car into a decent restoration, it will be a track only car. I figure I can lose half the cost by doing this. I also will not have to make all the repairs perfect as most personal track cars are not perfect, they hae flaws........

Items to be done differently:
-Minitub the rear wheelwells
-No interior to be redone
-Roll Cage to be installed
-subframe connectors with driveshaft loop is needed
-custom guages instead of stock gauge cluster
-Race seats to be installed
-Wiring will be custom as it will be a carb setup
- There will be many other things too.

It wont be all that quick, but I think it is a better option as it is now in this economy cheaper to buy a classic redone than try to do one yourself.

Any powertrain suggestions based on a 302 with a carb will be considered....

Anyone have a link to te standards I need to meet to be track ready?

Thanks.

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Cut down startup cost as I already have the 302 block......

BTW: Today I lowered the vehicle to the right heights all the way around. I then took and checked my measurements. The one I checked today came out right on instead of being short as it was before. Angles are a bltch!

The only issue now is that it is soooo low the front spindles are on the ground and the rear is too low to really get under. I guess if it isnt one thing it is another....LOL

Gib