• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Fukstain update

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
No Pics!

Well after following all the measurements IAW the factory specs for installing the major components, THE THING IS WRONG!!!

The rear axle is 1 inch more forward on the drivers side than on the passenger side. I still have no idea how this happened. Before installing them, I measured from the front suspension points to the rear leaf spring eye bolts. The measurements are within a 1/8th inch of each other. That is good. Needless to say I am let down. I have not installed the rear quarter skins or the outer wheelwells yet. They will now have to wait until I find a resolution for the rear axle issue. That will wait until I return from Hawaii.

Now the focus shifts to prepping the areas that are good to go by seam sealing and priming them. I need to finish installing the braking system to get it down the steep driveway so it can go on a trailer.

Items left to accomplish before trailering to my parents house are:

1. Seam Seal all welded areas.
2. Prime the underside.
3. Prime the front fenderwells.
4. Rustproof and prime the fenders.
5. Install fenders, hood, and other exterior parts.
6. Bleed brakes.
7. Reconnect the steering.
8. Pack all parts with the car.
9. Cut all brackets and other needed items from old removed sections.
10. Throw out all unneeded crap.
11. Load onto trailer.(March 26th)

I did not meet my deadline and after all the measurements and repairs I did, it is all for not...... EPIC FAIL!!

On March 26th in the afternoon, I could use a few people to help load the car onto the trailer. Should only take a few minutes, but with my jacked up knee I most likely wont be able to push this C%^T onto the trailer. It really would have been nice if the Previous owner hadnt done a complete hackup on a few important parts.

The good news is, I think I removed all the rust......LOL until 3 years from now and I have to do it all again....LOL Such is the life of a classic lover....

If anyone can come by on the 26th to help, please let me know. I should be able to get some pics up this weekend after sealing, priming, and cleaning it up.

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
OMG I just figured out today why my measurements ended up wrong. I replaced the forward strut rod bushings and such and never got it aligned afterwards. This ended up causing my forward measurement on the passenger side to be wrong. Basically it was too far forward on the passenger side which caused all my alignments to be square with each other, but cockeyed compared to how the car was sitting. Hopefully that makes sense what I mean. This means everything I installed based on the front suspension points is wrong. This makes a lot of sense as to why the rear trunk floors didn't seem to fit correctly on the drivers side. They were right, the area they were supposed to cover was not right. That would have thrown up a red flag, but didn't due to the panels being aftermarket and I chalked it up to the panels being made in taiwan.

Sorry to revive an old thread, just came to me today while reading about the forward suspension of a 67 Mustang.

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Well taking 3 years off and all kind of hurts the progress. Owned it for 10 years and have actually worked on it for about 9 months total.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
For a visual representation on this, Point A on the drivers side was right, point A on passengers was forward by between 1/2 and 1 inch.

418177_2965096410657_1359052214_32263668_1969828385_n.jpg