• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine Bay rehab pics

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Well finally got the engine bay sured up and took some pics.

I did not remove the steering column and wish I did as it is a pain in the ass to work around. The steering linkage and the sway bar were not redone as they will not be on the car when it is completed and I didnt feel like taking them off.

I need to touch up a few spots tomorrow, but overall it came out decent for what will be a daily driver. It is much better than it was when I got it. That is all that matters.

Some of the pics show some light and dark spots. That is because the black paint is still wet in some spots.

This is what I started with......
IMG_8364.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

IMG_8368.jpg

100_0501.jpg

100_0502.jpg

CopyofIMG_8368.jpg

100_1495.jpg

100_1496.jpg

100_1497.jpg

100_1505.jpg

100_1506.jpg

100_1508.jpg

100_1511.jpg

100_1514.jpg

joker

Looks good gibs tobad ur not going to be all done w it by the time u go to Hawaii

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I need most of the holes in the firewall. Don't remember the ones that aren't needed.

Thanks all

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I need most of the holes in the firewall. Don't remember the ones that aren't needed.

Thanks all

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thanks guys....got some more stuff done today... will be adding another thread....

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Here are a few more from today.....

Full engine bay with shock tower braces, brake lines, and hood latch assemly in place.
100_1561.jpg

Drivers floorpan seam sealed....
100_1556.jpg

Trunk floor seam sealed....
100_1554.jpg

Front of trunk floor seam sealed
100_1550.jpg

Rear drivers floor seam sealed.... I only got this half done, that is why it just stops on top of the tunnel.
100_1548.jpg

All for now. Will have more tomorrow...... Painting the trunk areas....

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thanks Bobby, wish mine was as nicely done as yours. But I am almost out of time and had to cut a few corners......Oh well. 3 years from now, I wont ever be going to sea duty again, so I will have plenty of time for the rest and to fix the mistakes....

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Part was media blasted (the rusted areas), then stripped with wire wheels, sanding disks, whatever the hell I could find to remove the paint, etc. I made sure any area that there was rust got blast first.

After getting it to bare metal, I coated everything with Ospho. Boyd Coddington was using it on his show one time and I did some research about the stuff...... Basically it is a phosphate coating to prevent rust. works great from the test I have seen. And you can get it at ACE, the one at Liberty Station has the stuff. I figure that if the engine bay made it 40 years without this stuff, it will be set for a long time with it...LOL

Gib