• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

NHRA: Fan Fatality At Firebird

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/nhra-fan-injured-at-firebird/

Antron Brown was involved in a dramatic Top Fuel crash on Sunday at Firebird International Raceway near Phoenix that also resulted in the death of a spectator from flying debris.

After hours of speculation, the NHRA confirmed the unfortunate occurrence with the following statement:

"A woman who was struck by a tire earlier today at the NHRA Arizona Nationals at Firebird International Raceway was pronounced dead at Good Samaritan Hospital this evening. The tire became detached from Antron Brown's dragster following an incident during the first round of eliminations. Brown was not injured.

"NHRA is investigating the incident. The entire NHRA community is deeply saddened by today's incident and sends its thoughts and prays to the woman's family and friends."

Matco Tools/U.S. Army dragster pilot Brown and BME/Okuma driver Troy Buff were the final pair to take to the track in the first round of eliminations when the accident occurred.

Shortly after leaving the starting line, Brown rattled the tires hard and tried to pedal through it, but the left wheel came off of the dragster and flew off the track, and the car began to roll. At about 400 feet down the track, the car made a hard left and slammed into the guard wall, and the nose went over and slid sideways along the top of the wall for a couple hundred feet. Oil poured onto the track and the engine erupted into flames. Brown emerged from the car and walked to the emergency response vehicle, seemingly uninjured.

"It felt like the back end just dropped out and the car started pitching end over end," Brown said. "At that point, I was upside down, and in my mind, things were going crazy. I was just hoping I didn't go into Troy or into the other lane. The next thing I knew, I hit the wall. I saw a little burst of flame come around my head, and I saw sparks. The Safety Safari guy was right there, and the next thing I knew somebody was trying to help pull me out of the racecar. Thanks to the Safety Safari. All the guys at the track did an awesome job. It was a crazy ride."

Brown, the No. 4 qualifier, is the defending event champion at the 26th annual NHRA Arizona Nationals. After being released by track medical staff, Brown went to Chandler Regional Hospital on his own for further observation.

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
damn crazy. i remember when there was a bad wreck a couple years ago in nascar and some ppl got killed and injured

Paul Huizenga

This link will probably be gone by the time most of you click on it, but...

Spectator video from the far side of the track.

Mach1Marauder

Some don't want to place blame, but IF Antron hadn't tried to drive thru that HARD tire shake, no studs would have been broken.
That was one of the hardest tire shakes I've seen in MANY years. It was very early on in the run. That was the best lane the whole day and they got the clutch setup wrong on that run.

Tommy

This link will probably be gone by the time most of you click on it, but...

Spectator video from the far side of the track.

Here's one from ESPN that likely won't be deleted

Click on the title if it doesn't play for you

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpgz_JefO4"]YouTube- Woman Killed By Debris After NHRA Crash[/ame]