• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1000 mile challenge!!!!

Foxman

A team of Ford engineers, accompanied by NASCAR driver David Ragan, set a new record last week by running 1,457 laps at Bristol Motor Speedway while averaging 48.5 mpg.
1000laps-1.jpg

The Mustang 1,000 Lap Challenge was designed to demonstrate that a stock production Mustang V-6 could run 1,000 laps and 533 miles on a single of tank of fuel. With the aid of fuel efficient driving techniques by Ford engineers, the Mustang far surpassed its goal of 1,000 laps.

"To see a Mustang post average fuel economy of 48.5 mpg while running at Bristol is impressive," said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer. "The new V-6 engine along with the advanced six-speed transmission in the car is a key element in delivering both fuel economy and performance for Mustang."

The Challenge team, which included NASCAR star David Ragan and four Ford Mustang engineers, completed the challenge in 17 hours and 40 minutes, showing off the 2011 Mustang V-6’s class-leading fuel economy by averaging 48.5 mpg over the course of the 776.5 miles logged during the Challenge.

Ragan pushed the Mustang past the 1,000-lap mark at 7:26 p.m., 12 hours and 26 minutes into the Challenge, but the car wasn’t close to being out of fuel. Mustang engineer Seong Park was behind the wheel when it finally came to a halt (on the backstretch) of the famed NASCAR track at 12:41 a.m. local time.

Other Mustang Challenge team drivers included Tom Barnes, Jonathan Mehl and Carl Ek, who along with Park, rotated through one-hour driving stints during the event, which took place at the world’s fastest half-mile track.

Foxman

well 533 miles divide by 17 hrs 40- minutes is 30mph lol.... im sure i did the math wrong

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
i didnt eve think about doing that... damnit.... i was being lazy. 30 mph..... who the hell is going to drive that everywhere

Foxman

yea really... it should have been done at atleast 60... but being that it went 1,457 laps at 30mph.... it probably could have done the 1000 lap at 60... but we will never know...

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
unless wickedstangs rents out bristol for a day :) jkjk. i mean dont get me wrong thats good mpg but realistically even in the city there is a lot of stop and go. i think the fusion did a better research project for their mpg challenge

Foxman

oh i hear yea... i mean really who drives 30 mph anymore... it should have been ran at 60mph+.. I mean come on 30mph for 1400 laps... talk about boring... no wonder they kept switching drivers lol

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
The 2011 Mustang V-6 not only did the 1,000 laps but shattered the mark with 1457 laps. The 2011 Mustang uses a new 3.7-liter V-6 rated at 305 horsepower and 31 mpg on the highway. For the 1,000 lap challenge Ford drove the Mustang with its 16 gallon fuel tank at an average speed of 43.9 miles per hour achieving 48.5 miles per gallon. Total miles driven on one tank of gas was 776.5--a feat unheard of for a 300-plus horsepower sports car.

Foxman

who tests a sports car at 43 mph for fuel economy.... still a cool car... i would take one... the aftermarket is going to blow up for the V6 i know it... i see centrifical blowers in this v6 mustangs future

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
im not saying its impressive but i dont buy a sports car yet alone a MUSCLE car for mpg.....

Maverick

Don't forget that they used 10+ drivers with various driving techniques, several did get into it...