• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1987 - 1993 Rear Axle 31 Spline Upgrade.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I started to upgrade my spare axle this week. This will take a couple of months, but I'll keep posting pictures as I progress. Of course there will be new seals, bearings and the 3.73 gears that are currently in the car.

Plan:
1. Remove quad shock supports:

013.jpg

2. Weld up tubes:

015.jpg

3. Install 31 spine Moser Axles and Auburn Locker:

012.jpg

4. Install rear differential brace/cover:

017.jpg

5. Install UPR Axle Braces:

014.jpg

6. Weld Lower Control Arm Braces:

016.jpg

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Phase 1 completed. Quad shocks removed, brake end plates off and seals out.
I took some time to remove all the weldment as well.
Axles010-1.jpg

Axles011-2.jpg

Axles012-2.jpg

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
Looking very nice Todd. Don't these cars have drums in the rear and if they do are u going to install a rotor kit?

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Project is back on hold. I will be waiting for additional funds to get the welding completed and purchase the Moser Axles. JEEEEEZZZZ....I hate waiting...++

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Phase two completed. Axles welded at Bob Meyer Racing....this guy is the true proctologist...he knows rearends.

Axle was placed in a JIG and trued to original specification prior to welding. Axles were both towed in -2 degrees and causing the rear to plow down the track. Now she'll be ready to drive out of the hole even quicker (get that V...it's not about the DYNO numbers).

Before welding:
015.jpg

After WELDS:

Axle33.jpg

Axle31.jpg

Axle30.jpg

Axle32.jpg

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Phase III

Drilled new holes in the rear differential housing and then broke out the welder.

UPR axle braces welded into place and mocked up prior to paint. Next it's pour 15 and then assembly time.
Axle3004.jpg

Axle3001.jpg

Axle3002.jpg

Axle3003.jpg

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Today the gears arrived and I installed the bearings, shims and gears onto the AUBURN Locker...see you later clutch plates!!!!!
Auburn.jpg

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Glad to see you finally went down to Bob Meyer and got this going. One thing I don't understands is how someone with your money has to wait on funds. Quit be such a tight wad and spend some money you cheapskate. :)

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Installed the Auburn Locker and new Moser Axles today. I had to shim up the locker to get it into tolerance, but it's all good now. I should have it back on the street some time in the next couple of days.
auburn 1.JPGauburn 2.JPG