• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

31 spline axle in a 28 spline rear?

John Gunter

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out if I can use a 31 spline axle in my stock rear end. I know I need a 31 spline t lock but are the shafts to thick for the stock tubes?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Yes you can use 31 spline axles in it. I have 35 spline in my race car. The shafts will never be to thick for the housing. You just need to make sure if you have a fox body you get fox body length axles. If you have an SN95 get SN95 length axles etc.

John Gunter

Thanks. I have a 96 GT. so as long is I stick to the sn95 it will work. Just so I know I was thinking of a 99 explorer 31 spline I take it that it won't work. And is there a difference in the IDR axle shaft in the 03 cobra.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
If you are talking about the differential of the 99exploder I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do some research though. You will still need mustang length axles and NO, cobra half shafts are not even close to working in a solid rear end.

John Gunter

Oh 1 more question. Will any 3.73 or 4.10 gear work as long as it is 8.8? Say a f150s or explorer and there t lock. Thanks for the help

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Oh 1 more question. Will any 3.73 or 4.10 gear work as long as it is 8.8? Say a f150s or explorer and there t lock. Thanks for the help
No, not all gears are the same. There are different pinion lengths and diameters that are used over the years. You will to do your research if you attempt to get your gears from a different vehicle.