• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bad pinging

Renegade

Hey everyone I'm wondering if some of you with more knowledge about the older 5.0s can give me some advice. This started at the beginning of summer when it started getting hot, my 95 get will now ping constantly when the RPM is brought up to 2k or more. When the issue started it was at 12* of timing on 91 octane, I still run 91 but have backed the timing all the way off to 8*. I have not had time with work to pull the plugs but replacing them and cleaning the top end with seafoam are on my to do list. Can anyone think of a common cause for this issue or a cause specific to these engines? Thanks in advance.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
make sure to look at your harmonic balance the rubber in between can get loose and cause the timing to be way off.. Take a picture and post it.

Renegade

I had that fixed originally, it spun 35* if I remember right, doesn't seem to act like it did then, it idles fine and runs fine besides the ping. When it spun it ran like hell and wouldn't idle.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
I had that fixed originally, it spun 35* if I remember right, doesn't seem to act like it did then, it idles fine and runs fine besides the ping. When it spun it ran like hell and wouldn't idle.
How's your timing look without the spout?

Renegade

How's your timing look without the spout?

8* slowly worked it back 1* at a time from 12 or 13* even though it ran fine at the original timing. At 8* it's retarded so much that I know it's not that it was too far advanced. The pinging did not weaken as I retarded the timing.

Renegade

Okay I solved the pinging issue (somehow the far back spark plug on the passenger bank worked it's self loose) but now I have another issue, now when I hit 3k the car falls flat on it's face. It pulls fine for what it is but it really hits a brick wall and will not pull through the end of the gear. Timing is set at 11*and nothing else has changed, I am completely lost.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Okay I solved the pinging issue (somehow the far back spark plug on the passenger bank worked it's self loose) but now I have another issue, now when I hit 3k the car falls flat on it's face. It pulls fine for what it is but it really hits a brick wall and will not pull through the end of the gear. Timing is set at 11*and nothing else has changed, I am completely lost.
have you check for fault codes? How does you cap and rotor look?