• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dead Battery Problems

SickSix

So I'm now having the dreaded dead battery problems that so many have had. A couple days ago tried to start up the car to go to work and just click click click, nothing. Jumped it and started up no problem. Now it has been starting up, but cranks slow and almost doesn't want to start. When it does start, it takes the gauge cluster a few seconds to light up and the needles to move. Anybody have any input?
I pulled the radio fuse from under the hood and inside the car, because many have said that it is the headunit from the shaker500 system that causes the battery drain. I did this yesterday and drove the car around. Then this morning checked battery voltage and it's at 10.5 volts. So obviously there is something else that is a factor.

SickSix

How is that draining the battery when the car is off though? When the car is running, the battery voltage is at 14.5 volts even when I turn on multiple loads (headlights, defroster, A/C). Wouldn't this indicate a good alternator?

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Check your battery terminals. I had a similar problem. I thought it was my battery, changed it and was still happening. Thought it was the alternator, tested it, was good. Turned out to be a bad connection with the terminal. I would check that and make sure it has good connection. Even when you think its tight, it still can somehow get shaken loose.

SickSix

I checked the connections and everything is on there tight and there isn't any corrosion. We did a battery and alternator test at work and looks like the battery just needs to be replaced. The readout shows its only putting out 30cca's. Luckily it is still under warranty.