• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fml... Oil filter problem

Superstang21

Global Moderator
Donator
Board Member
I feel really stupid for having missed this detail but I thought I would share this with everyone so that somebody else does not make the same mistake. I was changing the oil in my GT today, like I have a hundred times before... but this time when I when I started the car, about 5 1/2 qts of royle purple sprayed out of my oil filter... ($8.99 per quart) FML!! So I of course shut it off as quick as i could and reach down from under the hood with my filter wrench and got a couple of good turns on it. Thinking that I just didnt tighten it enough and now my problem was solved, i when back to the parts store for more oil. Came home put the oil in and optimistcally fired her up again. Yeah... bad idea... again, oil spraying from my filter!!! So back to the parts store I went for 6 more quarts of oil and a new filter... As it turns out the problem was the rubber gasket on the old filter had remained in place when I took the filter off and I didnt notice it. So I swapped to a new filter and removed the original gasket and it was good to go. This mistake cost me alot of time and a crap load of money... So, if you dont already, be sure to inspect the filter area before installing the new filter.

dope3

That sucks bro but if it makes you feel any beter your not the only one to do that

Shane361

Thanks, sure made my fair share of mistakes. Most recent one was my speaker box hitting the inertia switch in the trunk kill the fuel system. After a tow and the dealership I was out $130 bucks and some pride.-Shane

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
That sux bro. We had a guy on our ship do that on one of our tow tractors. He had a good mess to clean up.

Renegade

never done that exactly but i had autozone give me the wrong filter for my old Cherokee so it didn't seat, started it up and it spewed everywhere (filter is in the engine compartment, not under) it was a huge mess

WoundUpWindsorBoi

A guy I know that works at a ford dealership did the same thing with a supercharged lightning truck. He was so stoked it came into his bay he got careless. Ended up leaving original gasket, fires it up and can't get good oil pressure. So instead of shutting it off he backs it out and starts driving around the lot. At this point the customer could see him. Thought he was so cool until he revved it so much it ran outta oil and seized everything. We can just say he lost more then his pride that day. Always wanna be checkin and double checkin things like gaskets.

Superstang21

Global Moderator
Donator
Board Member
Whats up Dakota!! How you been down there? Have you been making any SD events? Been kinda slow up here but we got Toys for tots Car Show on NOV 6 and Famoso on NOV 7 so that should be pretty fun. BTW i think ill stick with the royle purple and just check for the old gasket next time lol

wildman97

Camp Pendleton CA
I know old thread... but with my 06 GT I did the same thing. FML it took a =lot of kitty litter to clean up that mess. Now i double check to make sure the old rubber is not stuck on the block.