• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Looks like the blown 347 might not be blown anymore.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
So I'm seriously considering pulling the engine and trans out of the beast and parting them out to build a new setup. While I love the car the way it is, it really isn't good for what I want to do with it, which is bracket racing.

Anyway my thoughts right now are an EFI 408 Windsor N/A solid roller big cam maybe some nitrous with a c4 or a power glide trans.

Thoughts?

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I'm looking for 10.5-10.6s should be pretty easy with that motor. Idk it'll be a while but I think I'm gonna start tearing into it once I can get some free time. There's just not enough hours in the day lol

Ford1288

Donator
Might be interested in your current setup, so switch over!

Is your car a 5 speed or auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Might be interested in your current setup, so switch over!

Is your car a 5 speed or auto?

It's a 5 speed astro performance a-5 trans. I think I might keep the heads off of it. Short block only has like 3k miles on it though

Ford1288

Donator
Just asking about the transmission because of your bracket racing. Why wouldn't you try changing over to a C4 before messing with the motor?

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I am but I don't want the boost. Power adders aren't consistent. I'm actually pretty decent at shifting and being consistent about it, but air charge temps and whatnot from boost just has too much variance.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
And I should mention, while boost is cool, I've always preferred raw naturally aspirated power. :D

Ford1288

Donator
Valid point. All depends on your priorities with the car. It would be hard for me to give up boost and the 5-speed.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
The 408 is a good route to take but if you're looking for dependable, light weight and low friction power...a small block 363 is something you should research.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
You're tellin me! I just bought that trans in te fall. I love it but I want to win races more than I want to slam gears lol.

I would rather have a 363, but I can only build one out of a dart, man o war, or an frpp boss block. I can build a 408 out of a stock 351 block and it will hold power just fine. It's really just a cost thing.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Sounds good.. Talk to Bobby from WMD Racing Fabrications he has built a couple of them...
I just may do that. He's going to do some rust repair on my LX sometime soon.

@wickedstangs
How do you like your manual rack? I was thinking of putting one in. Not like this sees daily driver duty or anything.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I've got a buyer for the blower coming tomorrow. Still got some good stuff to sell. Let me know what you need!

Ford1288

Donator
What else do you have? I am getting a completely stock Fox this week and need to start modding. You can text me, 619-991-7220.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Made a deal on a shortblock with some goodies.

69 non roller block 408, eagle forged 0 balance crank, eagle forged H beam rods, JE flattop pistons, clevite bearings, .030 piston to wall clearance, zero miles.

Trick flow box r manifold, brand new never used

MSD 351w dizzy, brand new never used.

a6ysa9yp.jpg

uty6ygu8.jpg

u8aherab.jpg

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
damn you shoulda put a carb on it. It would be so much faster and easier. I picked up almost 3 tenths when I swapped to a carb. What did you have to give up for the shortblock and parts?