• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

need a rear end

Feared

Crazy Mach Driver
Might need a rear end so I looking to see if anyone has a complete axle laying around. I dont need the calipers or rotors, just the complete axle with 3.73s or better. I dont care if its stock , trying to get the car together before the weekend and If my rear is toast i need this quick fix.

Could i just drop an complete rear from an explorer in?

Note: I odnt know how bad mine is, just getting a feeler for a worst case senerio.

elky406

Why?8.8s hold huge power,mine is been fine with 1000fwhp in the cobra going 1.3 60fts at 3600lbs.There are 7 second stangs on 8.8s.A 9 inch is a waste of money.

Dustin if you cant get it figured out get it to me i will fix it for you.It should be okay if you didnt run it to long like that.But setting the pinion back up is critical area that cant be dont wrong.

Foxman

i heard it was just leaking.... whats the hole story?

I told you gear install is easy to screw up... thats why i just payed steve at extreme 150 bucks.... my 4:10's howl but still work fine... only howl do to being used and me being the third owner of them....

Feared

Crazy Mach Driver
Pinion nut backed off and the pinion was loose.. luckily there was no damage when i took a look at it. I tighted the nut back on after making a few calls for help and there was no leak and no more play in the pinion.

The whole story was a crazy noise after shifting into 3rd, sounded like a backfire ( i was on the bottle ) and a clunking noise at the same time. While slowing down i couldnt get the car in gear, so at first i thought it was the tranny that blew. Then i noticed fluid leaking from the rear, alot of fluid...

I did all the torquing on the critical areas of the install so no one is to blame but myself. Car looks like its going to be fine, just a scare! LOL

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
See Damit Dustin could have drove it to San Diego. CWO is the man when it comes to gear installs down here

elky406

No its not safe to drive.

See you this week Dustin.

Just a fyi if the crush doesnt have the correct preload on the pinion bearings you will burn it up in a heart beat,like 10 miles will burn it up.This is why Dustin will be loading it up on a trailor to have me set the pinion back up again and a quik look to make sure all is well.

Renegade

Rodger that boss, im picking up my new front tires tomorrow also, now i dont have to haul them in my back seat lol. do you think youll have a couple minutes to talk about that engine tomorrow?

Mach1Marauder

Reasons for a custom 9in:
1. Better gear selection. More manufactures and you can get the exact gear you need and get the correct material for the application.

2 Less pinion bind on launch with much bigger bearings and stouter support with many pinion support options.

3. Larger and thicker axle tubes that need no added support to prevent bending at even insane street power levels

4. Better axle selection and ability to install larger axles and maintain streetability

5. Already comes with 9in ends for safe LEAK PROOF axle retention

6. With 3rd member case and pinion support options, the 9in can be LIGHTER than a 8.8 built to support the same level of HP and TQ at the same weight of vehicle.

7. Less maintenance or checks and longer durability at high HP levels

8. Better and more options for carrier support.

9. Differentials are stronger across the board

There's more, but that should suffice for now.
With all that being said, most of you guys will be happy and safe with a build 8.8.
When it's time to build a NEW rearend that will flawlessly support massive HP and TQ on the strip and the street and can weigh almost the same and can be lighter than a built 8.8, only slightly more expensive, the 9in is an easy choice.

I've built and ran 7 second cars with both rears. Haven't built one with an 8.8 since 2004........didn't run 7s until late 2006. That was a LOW budget shop car. We used what we had around the shop, made our own supports and traded work for installing 9in ends. The car was light and we added weight to make class.........most of the time we weighed in at 3100. The car did 1.21-1.17 60 ft. The 8.8 was only good for 50 or so runs before the pinion bearings needed to be replaced. With the wear on the bearings, the pinion bind would lower our 60ft and et. I finally found some extra $$ and ordered a 9in from Currie and our 60ft lowered to 1.19 to a best 1.15 and never went back up after 100 runs. We began running the 1/8th mile so I just built another 3rd member. We could swap carriers in less than an hour with ease and no special tools. After that, I've never even thought about an 8.8 for any sort of quick car. I have a couple of customers that have nasty 1100HP street cars that don't drag race, but have 9in in their combos for switching rear ratios for street, road race
and events like Silver State runs.

I just wanted to make sure you guys knew all the options and reasons why it MAY be a good choice for you.:rock::rock:

elky406

Ya because a 9 inch is needed in a bolt on 4v with 100 shot in it.WASTE OF MONEY.

That was my point,i know how good 9 inchs are and how versitile,but such a waste of money for a car with a 8.8 already in it and making 350 to 400 whp,**** even 800 whp.The cobra makes 840 goes mid 1.30 60fts on a basic built 8.8 with 100s of passes on it with zero issues.Im not disagreeing that a 9 inch is better,but for his car its a HUGE waste of money that could be spent elsewhere.

Mach1Marauder

thanks for the input M1Marauder
You've known me for quite a while and you know I tell it like it is.
maybee my car is bad luck, the truck taking it up there broke down! lol
THAT SUCKS!
Ya because a 9 inch is needed in a bolt on 4v with 100 shot in it.WASTE OF MONEY.

That was my point,i know how good 9 inchs are and how versitile,but such a waste of money for a car with a 8.8 already in it and making 350 to 400 whp,**** even 800 whp.The cobra makes 840 goes mid 1.30 60fts on a basic built 8.8 with 100s of passes on it with zero issues.Im not disagreeing that a 9 inch is better,but for his car its a HUGE waste of money that could be spent elsewhere.
Hence the : There's more, but that should suffice for now.
With all that being said, most of you guys will be happy and safe with a build 8.8.
;)

elky406

That was my point from the beginning.Shoot ive been rolling the dice on the 12bolt in the elco for years,but it will get a 9 inch now,its going to make over 1200whp so the trusty 12bolt must go.It went 1.31 60ft in a 3800lbs car with 30 spline axles and c clips baby lol.

Renegade

maybee my car is bad luck, the truck taking it up there broke down! lol

damn man you should have seen the pads... or lack there of on our truck, ill be re doing the entire brake system on it soon, everything is rusted and busted from the sand and salt water. i still cant believe the backing plate for the damn brake pad came OUT of the caliper!