• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

painting some parts

SiK FoX

Not sure if this is the right thread to put this in, but whatever.
I have a gt40 upper and lower and an extra set of valve covers that i want to paint. I have zero knowledge on painting so i need some advice.
Is there certain paint i should be using for aluminum? primer? how many coatings?

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I just use engine enamel. No primer. It looks fine, no peeling or anything. Just clean everything thoroughly with acetone first. If u want u can use a fine grit sand paper to rough the surface some too. (I don't)

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Biggest thing with painting is patience. Take your time. Apply at least 3 or 4 coats, and there is engine clear coat you can use as well(another 2 or so coats) but make sure you let each coat dry sufficiently before going to the next one. I'm impatient so I use a heat gun to help speed up the process

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
If you want to blast the parts, use aluminum oxide or glass bead. For best results: blast, wipe down with acetone, shoot 3 to 4 coats of color and two coats of clearcoat. Clearcoat is easier to clean and will seal the colored paint. I shot my upper and lower 3 years ago and it still looks like new.

Since you'll be painting parts exposed to high heat I would recommend baking them. Yes, baking them sounds dumb and the ol lady might get a little mad about the house smelling of paint but in the long run you'll be suprised on how much it'll help. Bake whatever your painting for about 15-20 minutes on 200* F. Make sure to let the paint fully dry before doing so, otherwise you'll have a hell of a mess on your hands.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
You can go to harbor freight and buy a heat gun for like 15 bucks and do the same thing if you'd rather not stick parts in an oven haha