• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project Fukstain Thread 5 Engine Bay Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Well There were a large amount of spots that I needed to repair. I have not finished yet but am well on the way.

The largest problem was 4 spots where the Engine Bay Fender Aprons overlap the Shock Tower areas. These were originally made without any rustproofing. Most of these cars have issues in this area.

Here is what I started with (Front Drivers Side Overlap)....
IMG_0628.jpg

After cutting out the top layer, I had to cut out the bad rusted out portion of the lower layer. After cutting it out, I made a patch for the lower areas. These were welded in by tack welding the entire way around the area.

100_0543.jpg

After grinding the area flat, the entire area was coated with a Phosphoric Acid Solution, called Ospho. It is available at Ace for about $9.00 a Quart. Ospho ( http://www.ospho.com/ ) is used as a rust treatment. Please see the link for more info. Next, the replacement pieces were made for the top layer. Next I cut it out, fit it, and drilled out the holes for plug welds. Next came welding it in. I did so and then ground it all down nice and pretty. After grinding it smooth, a thin coat of All Metal ( http://tinyurl.com/ALL-METAL ) After rough sanding with 60 and 120 grit sandpaper, the area was sprayed with a rust preventative primer. There are still a couple of spots that need some tweaking, but the rust is gone and there is solid metal again on this car. Here is the result of my efforts.

The area on the right side is the same area as the first picture above.....
The area on the left side is the same area as the second picture above....

100_0578.jpg

Looks much better than before huh.....

While I was spraying, I decided to spray the firewall also as it has been sanded and coated with Ospho also. Here are before and after of the firewall area....

BEFORE:
IMG_8364.jpg

DURING:
100_0500.jpg

AFTER:
100_0579.jpg

100_0580.jpg

100_0581.jpg

The rest of the engine bay is still in progress. What remains is the battery tray apron, and the rear passenger fender apron overlap. These will be complete this week. Lots of cutting and grinding.

Oh yeah another older pic for you....

IMG_0635-1.jpg

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thanks..... I have learned to just do a little at a time. Not to bite off too much at once.

I can not wait until I am at the point that you are at...... Engine Build!!!!!

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the vote of confidence Emilio......It aint perfect but it is a pretty decent repair. I am still learning too.

Gib

M

Mustangcwo

Ok Gib, I have to admit that your project has come a long way. When I first saw the car, I was looking for the wrecker that would be backing up to pull it out of your garage. This guy has this car tore apart and he's a Sonar Dude...another scrap yard heep to follow. Now I can say "WOW" and mean it. Nice work and keep the posts rolling.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Just cause I am not an engineer doesnt mean I cant do stuff......The tougheest part of this is hiding the ridges in the duct tape!

LOL

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Oh yeah and BTW: I havent a clue where all the stuff that I took out of it 9 years ago actually goes so putting it back together is gonna be fun.....LOL Anyone got the book: Assembling classic stangs for dummies!?

I think I broke, stripped, rounded off every damn bolt tearing it apart....got to buy all of them for the most part. I got a bunch but they are mix and match now as not all survived....LOL

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
It is starting to go back together and I am more motivated every day to do more and push harder now that it isnt just sitting there.... Engine bay should be done this week then full concentration will be on the Frame rail.......One of the hardest parts of the project!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
OK so here are a few before and after shots of the radiator support. Yes the top lip is bent in a couple spots. I will bend the lip nice and straight before final preps.

Passenger side inner before(still need to reinstall the battery tray apron):
IMG_0800.jpg

Passenger side inner after:
100_0582.jpg

Drivers side inner after:
100_0583.jpg

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Nope never done it, It is just a matter of going a little at a time and making the needed repairs.

Most of the rust on this car is surface rust. There are only a couple areas that really rotted out.

Gib

Status
Not open for further replies.