• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

PROJECT WIKDLX

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
Car is back home with me LOL. Was running very rich i'm thinking. Was sitting for a few months and that did it no favors. Was surging and backfiring the whole drive home, probably should've towed it but didn't have the time. None of the water temp gauges work either. Will see how long it will take for me to get it running, don't have any free time with a kid now. But parked it in the garage. Also somehow ended up with a different license plate number. But I know its the same car.

Attachments

• IMG_4091.JPG
    IMG_4091.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4092.JPG
    IMG_4092.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 53

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
So I took a look at it today. And of course it was so simple, still checked the wiring to make sure it was good but the connector that goes to the maf sensor wasn’t on all the way. That’s it. Still need to track down why the water temp gauge isn’t working and it’s having an issue with being hard to start when hot. But a good start already.

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
Yesterday I looked at the non functional water temp gauge. Luckily another easy fix, the 12v power had somehow disconnected from the gauge, so crimped a new connector on and it turned right on with the key. Also replaced the IAC, haven't run the car yet, waiting for new seat belts, but can't wait to do another test drive.

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
So I was driving home last night getting on the freeway and I thought i'd give it some extra gas to make it fun. As soon as I do that I hear a loud bang and the engine just shuts off. Pull it over to the side of the freeway and wait a minute. Try to start it and engine won't turn over. Look into the engine bay and see a little bit of white smoke coming from behind the intake. I check and the pcv line coming from the upper into the lower intake popped off and sprayed some oil. Put it back in and still no luck. Had to have it towed home. Checked the oil from the dipstick and didn't see anything odd. Hopefully this weekend i'll have some time to pull the spark plugs and see if I can turn it over manually. Might need a new engine. I'm really hoping not but I'll find out soon. Wish me luck.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
So I was driving home last night getting on the freeway and I thought i'd give it some extra gas to make it fun. As soon as I do that I hear a loud bang and the engine just shuts off. Pull it over to the side of the freeway and wait a minute. Try to start it and engine won't turn over. Look into the engine bay and see a little bit of white smoke coming from behind the intake. I check and the pcv line coming from the upper into the lower intake popped off and sprayed some oil. Put it back in and still no luck. Had to have it towed home. Checked the oil from the dipstick and didn't see anything odd. Hopefully this weekend i'll have some time to pull the spark plugs and see if I can turn it over manually. Might need a new engine. I'm really hoping not but I'll find out soon. Wish me luck.
you should need one unless daryle made it his biaattthhh...:)

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
So not so good. Took all spark plugs out, still couldn't turn the block. Emptied radiator and the fluid all looked good so Took front of engine off, timing chain good and everything. So we take off the intake and valve covers. Top looked good. Then Jared notices that the harmonic balancer moved, and not in the rotational sort of way. thinking that the crankshaft might've broken. Won't have time to check for quite a while so it'll sit in the garage for a couple of months until I can pull the engine. But I'll start looking for parts for a five speed swap since I'll be that far anyways lol. IMG_2158.JPGIMG_2161.JPGIMG_2167.JPGIMG_2187.JPG

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
So I was finally able to dive into it and remove the engine, started removing wires and they were in pretty good condition considering age, some clips were broken and the like but otherwise very good. Started to unbolt the headers from the mid pipe and discovered that they were barely more than hand tight! Both sides were this way and when I moved up to remove the headers they were the same way! I don’t know how I didn’t notice that but it didn’t sound like it had an exhaust leak. Anyways we removed the radiator and all front accessories to make it easier on ourselves. Removes fuel rails and the injectors looked ok. Finally we attempted to remove the transmission bolts before we realized that because the engine was frozen, we wouldn’t be able to rotate the flywheel to remove the bolts. So we decided to pull the engine with the torque converter. After removing all the bolts and making sure that absolutely everything was unplugged we started to pull the engine. It came out really well and we were able to finally get a good look at it. Unfortunately it does not appear to be a dart block after all as it had all 2 bolt mains and no marking suggesting it was. We pulled off the oil pan and lo and behold, I had a broken crankshaft. Along with a couple of bent rods near the break. Hopefully I’ll get the chance to tear it down soon and see how the cylinder walls are. I’m going to be parting out the engine and selling the car as I don’t have the time or money to restore this fine vehicle. I’ll update when I tear apart and clean the motor.69CBAB1C-6443-4652-AD1B-EC4A129AA930.jpeg51E9D03D-4B36-46A8-ABD5-51C5661214BE.jpegCFBA65DE-3418-455B-A132-3AEABD525104.jpeg431F6920-89D5-404D-A468-E0C3B3BAC850.jpeg