• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

rear end

SiK FoX

So my buddy has a 93 cobra rear end thats been sitting in his shop for a couple years, and he wants to get rid of it. I plan on doing a 5 lug disc conversion soon anyway, so my question is should i buy it? I planned on using the usual swap parts from a 94/95 mustang, but im not sure which would be a better upgrade. Any ideas?

Ford1288

Donator
The 5 lug for a 93 cobra is different than the 5 lug of a 95, someone correct me if I'm wrong. So no, don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2K7GTCS

From what I've read, Ford used the same housing out of the Turbo Coupe as in the '93 Cobra, and that it's 3/4" wider per side, requiring modified/aftermarket brake brackets when using shorter stock length 5-lug axles (since there are no high strength axles available for the wide housing). You also have to be careful with rim & tire fitment.

Just for simplicity sake, I would go with the 94/95 stuff.

Brian

2.73, oh crud i thought they were 3.23 then 3.73 will make a huge difference. Thanks

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
From what I've read, Ford used the same housing out of the Turbo Coupe as in the '93 Cobra, and that it's 3/4" wider per side, requiring modified/aftermarket brake brackets when using shorter stock length 5-lug axles (since there are no high strength axles available for the wide housing). You also have to be careful with rim & tire fitment.

Just for simplicity sake, I would go with the 94/95 stuff.

All 8.8 housings are the same. It's not the housing that is longer it's the axles. I'm using turbo coupe rear disc brakes on my 86 t top. Disk brakes r us sells rear rotors that are drilled for 4 lug and 5 lug patterns so you can use the turbo coupe rear brakes on either. I used ranger axles which are fox length and everything works just fine.