• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

wheel hop

Bullittmoestang

hey since it was raining here in san diego the roads were wet and i decided to turn the traction control off and have a little fun from a stop sign. i got the WORST wheel hop that i have ever had in the car. is there anything that i can do to try and correct this?

thanks,

2K7GTCS

If I remember right, you have quite a few miles on that car? The stock rear bushings are way too squishy to begin with...

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
u need lower control arms. I like UPR and have there upper and lowers. I just installed chrome moly adjustable lowers with one side solid and other polly. u may or may not want these, they do create some noise but do help alot with turns.
2005+.gif169.99 + 14.95 to ship.2005+1.gifsame price. depends on your goals.
these are both made of chrome molly and are very strong.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Wheel hop boils down to a couple of different issues:

1. You need to upgrade the bushings in the car along with lower control arms; stock lowers tend to twist (CHEAP).
2. Install an adjustable upper control arm so you can set the pinion angle properly. (This should eliminate the hop).
3. Lastly, the car will react differentyly as traction conditions change; this solved with an adjustable shock in the rear (Time to HOOK and BOOK).

Bullittmoestang

what is the optimum pinion angle? there are adjustable upper and lower control arms. should i have both adjustable or just the upper arms?

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Adjustable lowers are a waist of money, just an adjustable upper is required. Pinion angle on a two piece drive shaft is zero; one piece drive shaft is somwhere between -1.5 and -3.0 degrees. Somewhere between those two angles is right for your car. I always shoot for -2.25 to -2.5.

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
Todd is right the lower adjustables are not needed but that is the only way I could get solid and poly. Love these, way better then my old roushes.

Bullittmoestang

when I do this upgrade should I upgrade the rear shocks as well? Some QA1s caught my eye as well as Strange Engineering; both brands are fully adjustable. Is it worth it to upgrade, or will the stock shocks work with that configuration?

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I have the comp engineering adjustable rear shocks. They work well, no issues. I keep mine at 60/40

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
when I do this upgrade should I upgrade the rear shocks as well? Some QA1s caught my eye as well as Strange Engineering; both brands are fully adjustable. Is it worth it to upgrade, or will the stock shocks work with that configuration?
If you are going to race the car at the track, you will want the adjustable shocks. If you just want to eliminate the wheel hop, the upper and lower rear control arms will work. The adjustable shocks allow the control of how hard the wheels hit the pavement when you launch the car; adjustables help with spinning.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Good choice of weaponry to handle your rear end issues. The solid bushings will stiffen the ride, but handle all the HP you can throw at them.

luckychance

im a little late to the party here but imo stay away from upr. if u search the forums, they are made in china based on copies of reputable companies that they rip off. bmr which makes great stuff came out with an upgraded a arm but quickly revised it after stress cracks exposed a weak point in the design. upr in typical fashion, copied bmr but the earlier design which is prone to failure realized their mistake and after a while blatantly changed their design to reflect bmrs research. the 2 went at it online for a while but the moral of the story is yes the parts will probably work fine but ull get what u pay for, why settle for less. imo, bmr makes good stuff with urethane bushings which are soft and need to lubricated every once in a while. j&m and che, which i have, both have their take on delrin bushings which i perfer. they are a little bit more sturdy than urethane and still cut down on noise and vibration. whiteline which started out making delrin bushings for rally cars just came out with some quality stuff for mustangs too and lethalperformance.com was having a 20% off sale a while back. i have their watts link and it is much quieter from the fays that uses regular poly urethane. as far as for shocks, unless u are going all out i would just go with koni yellows which are adjustable or their srt line. call sam strano at stranoparts.com and hell fill u in on anything suspension u want. something like 7x scaa autocross winner so he knows his stuff.

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
im a little late to the party here but imo stay away from upr. if u search the forums, they are made in china based on copies of reputable companies that they rip off. bmr which makes great stuff came out with an upgraded a arm but quickly revised it after stress cracks exposed a weak point in the design. upr in typical fashion, copied bmr but the earlier design which is prone to failure realized their mistake and after a while blatantly changed their design to reflect bmrs research. the 2 went at it online for a while but the moral of the story is yes the parts will probably work fine but ull get what u pay for, why settle for less. imo, bmr makes good stuff with urethane bushings which are soft and need to lubricated every once in a while. j&m and che, which i have, both have their take on delrin bushings which i perfer. they are a little bit more sturdy than urethane and still cut down on noise and vibration. whiteline which started out making delrin bushings for rally cars just came out with some quality stuff for mustangs too and lethalperformance.com was having a 20% off sale a while back. i have their watts link and it is much quieter from the fays that uses regular poly urethane. as far as for shocks, unless u are going all out i would just go with koni yellows which are adjustable or their srt line. call sam strano at stranoparts.com and hell fill u in on anything suspension u want. something like 7x scaa autocross winner so he knows his stuff.

I have been running UPR products for years and I have never had any problems with there products, I say buy them
Bullittmoestang
. Every company has there problems and I wouldn't read everything that the forums will tell u.
Sorry luckychance but im going to have to disagree with u on this. if u go on there website http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-99-adjusable-lower-control-arms.html and look at the bottom of the page u will see it sais in big letters MADE IN USA.

luckychance

u are right, im wrong about where they are made as they claim they are made in the usa. yes every company will have issues, no doubt about it, but it may be that the made in china stigma is due to the fact that they have more questionable quality (put a search on google) and when pressed about it they dont like to take responsibility for it. this is not just heresay as there is a thread on s197forum.com where other vendors are ripping into upr directly for copying them and all they can do is respond back immaturely about it. that is not a company that would earn my trust in my opinion. im sure not everything is all bad and that the op will be fine for light applications but im just saying beware that they copy other vendors, which would put into question the amount of research they into their product.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I run UPR lowers with Delrin bushings, custom cut in my shop, and they are awesome. Lower control arms are all created equal, minus the bushings. Buy the least expensive pair you can find and have lots of fun!!!!