• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

01 Cobra Wheels & Track

Doc Hawk

I have the stock SVT 17x8's wrapped in 245/45's. I would like to widen the rear track in order to fill out the stock fenders. I did this on my '02 GT by using hub centric spacers and 8.5" rims running 255 rubber, and I liked the look and the handling. I saved the rims and spacers when I sold the car (new owner got stockers).

Will the IRS be happy with the wider track width, additional rubber, and lower profile sidewall? I hope there are some 99-04 Cobra owners who have done similar mods (spacers and/or low pro +size rims), who can comment on changes in handling.

Thanks,
David

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
David
On your stock rim you can fit a 305 nitto 555R they are smaller tire, I believe they are more of a 295 but, nitto labels them as 305s they look pretty meaty.. Some guys on here don't the like the Nitto Drags but, I love them for the price and the strip street use of them..

ttt-180360_w.jpg

Doc Hawk

Thanks Emilio. I run 555R's on my '72 Datsun 240Z and I like them a lot, but as far as I know unfortunately they don't make an upgrade (wider) tire that will fit my stock Cobra rim. They only make the 305 you mentioned in an 18", while the 17" sizes are 245, 275, and 315. Only the 245 is approved for an 8" rim; the 275 says 9" minimum and the 315 wants 10.5", which is way out of my spec. Do you know something I don't on their available sizes?

Since the rims I have don't offer me much of an upgrade (only .5" wider), I guess I will look for some wider rims. BTW, what did you end up doing with that set you were selling a while back?

David

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
You can get away with the 275 on 8" rim. I had 275 Nitto Drag Radials on my 17x8 and it didn't have any problems.