• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

$2000 tune

M

Mustangcwo

Many of you will soon find out that I have spent nearly 2K getting my car tuned and it's still not ready for pickup. The problem stems from having to deliver my car to a shop to get work completed. 18months ago I began building my car in preparation for 400rwhp dyno. I'm not certain it will pull that far, but it will be close. Anyways, the first shop installed my heads, upper intake and lower intake.

Stuff done wrong:
1. Loose rocker: dropped a cylinder but did not damage engine, repaired at no cost.
2. Zip tied dipstick in position. :nonono:
3. Timing set to 4deg. :nonono:

Second shop attempted to tune the car and complained that they could not get fuel and air under control due to multiple reasons.
1. MAF 76MM was to small and injectors 30lb, to small. I dont believe that was the case. :nonono:
2. Battery was to small: did not fix the problem.
3. Bad alternator: I found a bent spring in the pickup brushes and corrected in less than 30mins.

Stuff done wrong:
1. Swapped out parts, vice troubleshooting the problem and finding the problem.
Left without a tune and $800 dollars in the hole. $300 SCT chip (that I dont need, I upgraded to tweecer) and $500 in parts as part of a guessing game.

Next shop:
1. Discovered a vacuum leak between the passenger head (cylider 5/6) and upper intake. (Should have been installed properly at the first shop and found at the second shop....I hate incompitent people). Cost to repair $420 labor plus parts.
2. Will begin tuning again tomorrow or Monday at a cost of $465

Oh yeah, did I mention that I purchased a Tweecer: $425.

Now I can go buy a Dyno and tell all the shops to KISS MY A$$!!!!!

Lesson Learned:
1. Do your own work and if you must go to a shop, conduct thorough testing of your car when it returns.
2. Tell your tuner that if he replaces a part and it doesn't solve the problem, you're not paying for the part (do this before the tune begins).
3. Make certain that your tuner is familiar with your make, model and year of your car. Question them as of how many configurations they have tuned that are similiar to yours.

If anyone would like a more detailed version or just the name of the shops....PM me.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
HOLY CRAP! Have you started a thread about these shops in the Sorry Shops section?

You actually paid even though the work wasnt done?

Gib

Renegade

wow man I'm really sorry about the luck you've been having with shops, hope it goes better this time

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yeah I know LG that would be a touchy subject around here....but if someone is upset when you call a spade a spade, maybe they need to look in the mirror before getting upset!

Gib

M

Mustangcwo

HOLY CRAP! Have you started a thread about these shops in the Sorry Shops section?

Gib

This would not be prudent to the forum and cause one person to get butt hurt.

I'd rather use this opportunity to assist others and hope that they wont make the same mistakes of trust!! Cant wait to get to the East Coast and find a speed shop!!!

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
This would not be prudent to the forum and cause one person to get butt hurt.

So one of us will be in the same situation you are in because we don't know where not to go?

I am looking at getting two cars tuned in the near future

As the kids on here say, weak sauce!!!

M

Mustangcwo

So one of us will be in the same situation you are in because we don't know where not to go?

I am looking at getting two cars tuned in the near future

As the kids on here say, weak sauce!!!

Edited the fist post!!!

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
IF YOU WANT A DECENT TUNE GO TO L.A.!!!!!!!!!

It's that simple. Lets face it, there is more racing there and more tuners who know what they are doing. When you go to the L.A. area race tracks and see the support from customers that some tuners up there get you would see what I mean.

ears

just to throw in my own .02 cents, i have aswell had a very similar,,, infact about the same experience with the second shop refered to by cwo!!!

taking my car in there were a few problems, he told me to fix them, and after the fact began the tune and had quite a few problems right off the bat, including, not being able to get my car to idle!! he said change this part,,, then change this part,,, then change this part!! and after changing all the parts,,,, still no idle!! so eventually the bill got too high, so i took it home! and after playing with the tuner, found my idle was set at 650!!!

YOU DONT SET A CARS IDLE AT 650 THAT HAS LUMPY ASS BLOWER CAMS!!!!

so ofcours after adjusting it,,, it idled a bit rough due, in my opinion to a poor tune, but it idled and ran none the less!!!

and i do know of atleast one other person to have had this exact same experience! for more info,,, you can aswell pm me,, i do not know too much about cwo's experience,, but i do know it was at the same shop!!

M

Mustangcwo

ALT, I'm moving to Jacksonville in the sumer of 2010 and I'll be coming up to see you guys once I get settled into my next job.

Amazing how much things have changed over the last 18 months. Yes, JBA did build my upper end and I'm not certain when the intake gasket let loose. I know that my idle starting giving me problems shortly after I changed out the K-Member...was it bad from the begining??? I dont believe it was, according to the idle.

Yes, my car is back in JBA and I could have taken the car home and fixed it myself...I just dont feel like tearing it apart this weekend, so I'll pay to have it done. At least Bruce, the tuner, was able to evaluate a MAF table and decipher it as a vacuum leak. They smoke tested my engine and there it was...a vacuum leak around cylinders 5 and 6 on the upper intake.

Base tune should be done soon and then I can tune it myself for the rest of this cars existance. All HAIL the TWEECER!!!

Ford1288

Donator
My father has had the same problem with tunes in San Diego with his 96 procharged cobra. San Diego is just not a racing/automotive city. You should have no problem finding a good shop in the south if you have any problems down there.