• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2001 V6 mustang question

Eusebio Soliz

No its not mine haven't got me a new mustang yet but soon..Anyway my nephew just joined the marines and he got himself a used mustang from tx and got it shipped out here to my house. He is up in camp pendelton and has asked me to give it a once over. So i started it up today and ran it up and down the road and noticed its losing power. The only mod that i can see under the hood is a cold air intake everything else looks pretty stock. My question is does anyone know were i could take this car to get checked out and not get charged an arm and a leg I really can't do much to it while in housing and he wants it fixed now. if you guys know of a good place i can take it to just txt me or email me cell is 8583379613 or pm me on here. thanks in advance.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Before you take it in may I suggest: New spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, spark plug wires and throw a code reader on the car. All this is usually done to cut out all the easy stuff.

Soliz53

Donator
Yeath I was told by my nephew that all that was replaced before I got it. And by the looks of it e is right. I just need to get a code reader and see what it does.

Soliz53

Donator
I'll do that thanks Todd.
Just wondering there is not check engin light on at the moment will i still get a code. Oh and some of the guys here at work say that the timing might be off so im gona check that once i get home.. Ill keep you guys posted. Man i sure miss owning a mustang.

Soliz53

Donator
Well I check the timming and it's good the wiring spark plugs and the fuel filter are all good. As for the code reader I just need to find out if it's had any codes. The check engine light is not on.

Soliz53

Donator
Well just as i added the last response the check engine light came on so now I have to get the code reader.

GhostRider

From what you described, it could be a bad fuel pump or something along the fuel system that's going out... Is the loss of power only during acceleration or does it happen when idling as well?

Soliz53

Donator
From what you described, it could be a bad fuel pump or something along the fuel system that's going out... Is the loss of power only during acceleration or does it happen when idling as well?
while idling it tries to turn off and it sound like its skipping a cylinder. so I'm not sure which one till i get the code reader or just take it to a shop which is what my nephew wants to do cure i can't really do much in my garage in housing and he wants the car soon.
im gone call rpmm see if they can take a look at it and find out how much they charge hopefully not much.

GhostRider

That might be that fastest option seeing as how it's somewhat time sensitive. Good luck and keep us posted!

Soliz53

Donator
well i talked to javier he told me i have to wait till next wed to take the car in... i got a code reader today from a guy at work and found 2 codesP0301,P0303 which are cylinder 1 and 3 misfiring. there was a strong smell of gas while the car is running so that makes sense.

ben

Banned
replace those plugs and mayb the wires for those cyclinders . it may have had new ones installed but, the parts could still be baD. thats what happend to mine. i put new plugs and wires on, and still got a code. had to replace a plug and wire that i just put on there

Soliz53

Donator
im gone go ahead and try that. i hope thats all it is. ill keep you guys posted.

Soliz53

Donator
well before i go and buy all new stuff I'm gone check all the spark plugs and switch the wiring on those 2 cylinders with another 2 and see if i get the same code on the new cylinders.