• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5 Gallon Fuel Cell Install [*DONE!*]

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I began my fuel cell install today. With my stock tank out of the way I was ready to drill some holes today. I started by making a template of the cell and marked the square that will need to be cut out for the sump.

DSCN0624.jpg

On my way home from work I stopped by California Metals and picked up a 20ft stick of 1" square tubing so I can build support beams under the car to bolt the cell to since the trunk is so flimsy.

DSCN0625.jpg

Next, since all of the fuel cells that I shopped had -8AN fittings built in I'm modifying the brand new tank to my liking. The A1000 fuel system recommends a minimum of 1/2" (-8AN) hose for the feed, but also state that the pump will be more efficient with a larger hose. Also since the system will be Y'ed off I didn't want the same size line splitting in 2 different directions. It would be better to have a larger line split off than the same size line split off. Are we tracking???

DSCN0626.jpg

With that said I cut off the -8AN fitting and with a sanding disc took it down to the base and enlarged the hole. Tomorrow at work I will have a -10AN fitting welded in it's place.

DSCN0627.jpg

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well the fuel cell is still at work. I decided to make gussets for the mounting tabs to make them stronger because they are very flimsy and bend easily. So after shearing some aluminum we got the gussets all tacked up as well as the new -10AN fitting for my feed line. Everything will be completely welded on monday.

After getting home from picking up the transmission today I got to work on the car for a short while. I managed to pull off all of the stock fuel lines and cut the hole in the trunk for the fuel cell sump. I also managed to cut the 2 rails that the fuel cell will be mounted to. They are not pictured, but are bolted in the trunk. The hole is not as crooked as it looks in the pic. It's because the trunk is not flat. I will deburr the whole and line it with some trim so it won't have sharp edges exposed.

Sumphole.jpg

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I made some progress today on my fuel cell support. I should be able to get it finished up tomorrow. I won't weld it to the frame rails until I get the fuel cell back from work and make sure everything fits properly.

Cellbrace1.jpg

Cellbrace2.jpg

Cellbrace3.jpg

Cellbrace5.jpg

Cellbrace6.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

M

Mustangcwo

That is amazing stuff Bobby. I never realized how much work went into installing a fuel cell. Keep up the good work and let us know of any difficulties or specific rules you have to follow. Some day....some day.

infidel

The welds look great. This is going to be super nice. BTW I gave tom the money for the tank and fuel pump

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
That is amazing stuff Bobby. I never realized how much work went into installing a fuel cell. Keep up the good work and let us know of any difficulties or specific rules you have to follow. Some day....some day.

Funny thing is I didn't either. Then when I got the cell in the mail and opened it the mounting tabs had a tag that read "for locating purposes only"! I was like WTF! After doing some research I found that most people build a support for the cell under the car. I spoke with Dave @ Team Z and he said to build it out of 1" tubing.

Most people I checked with said it was in the 2006 NHRA rule book, but that there is nothing in the new book. I figured better safe than sorry and I mind as well do it right. Especially while the axle is out of the car.

After everything I welded I went back and bolted it up and marked and measured everything before welding the next piece. It was pretty time consuming to do. I spent about 3-4 hours on that piece so far.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well, I was able to finish the support bracket this morning and wanted to head off to the hobby shop, but my wife had to go to the library to finish a take home test for school. That left me on Daddy day care duty.

Anyway, I went under the car this morning in the rain and tacked up the remaining pieces of the support. Once everything was tacked I took it out and welded everything up. I also welded some small plates to the ends on all of the arms that will later be welded to the frame. I should get my fuel cell back tomorrow and complete the final installation and welding this week.

FYI: This probably took me a total of 6-7 working hours from start to finish.

Completed Support Bracket
DSCN0636.jpg

Driver's Side
DSCN0635.jpg

Passenger Side
DSCN0634.jpg

Lordgufi

better than me man. last time i tried welding something together ( shitty welder from harbor frieght but still ) i couldn't figure out how to play with the settings to get the metals to melt and just ended up surface welding the **** and it fell apart once a little force was applied.

tkeinia

looks really good, so much work for a fuel cell, i thought u just put in the trunk stap it down and lets go. i think i will just sump my tank.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well my friend at work welded the aluminum fittings and gussets on my fuel cell this morning, so I was back at it when I got home from work today.

First I mocked up the cell inside the support. The first thing I noticed is that I didn't give myself enough room to get at the fittings. I had to cut the bars and extend it out to give myself some room. I also noticed the holes on the fuel cell didn't line up just right. Easy fix. I drilled out the fuel cell mounts a bit larger to give myself some wiggle room. Worked like a charm.

Here is a pic of it mocked up and modified.

Fuelcellmockup.jpg

I then made a plate to mount my aeromotive fuel pump. I marked and drilled the holes and then welded the plate to the fuel cell support bracket. After that I mocked it all up in the car. I will have to cut another piece out of the trunk to make more room for the fittings, but other than that this thing is almost done and ready to be welded between the frame rails. :p

DSCN0638.jpg

DSCN0639.jpg

DSCN0641.jpg

DSCN0640.jpg

northerncountry

Welding is just like anything else it takes time a practice, Orange that thing is nasty cant wait to see it on the track again.