• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - 16 Oct 2010 - Teasers

frank s

at Play in San Diego, CA
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Just got back from Chuckwalla and it was a blasts!! Pics and very amature video of me and dave on thge track as soon as i figure out how to get it from my phone to the site.​

frank s

at Play in San Diego, CA
I'm eager to see the others' pictures and videos as well. It was a wholly satisfying experience from the gate in the morning to the gate at the end. I was especially happy to be able to give rides to my daughter and Dave. They are both good passengers. Geneva got to make a full-speed lap at Riverside International Raceway in 1975 or so, so it was not something new to her, as I think it was for Dave.

The weather Saturday was more than a little warm, but clear and with just a bit of a breeze to promote evaporative cooling. There were thunderheads billowing up over some of the mountains rimming the 500-foot high valley. Driving home over the mountains on Sunday morning the clouds closed in somewhere around Aguanga, and there was more-or-less constant drizzle from Temecula to San Diego. I wish I'd remembered the BA Cars & Coffee. I passed by on I-15 at about the right time, but no cigar. This was the first time either of my Mustangs was driven in the rain. Another transition.

The track at Chuckwalla is a real marvel, with something for everyone: technical turns, moderate- and high-speed curves that require balance and finesse, and plenty of places to take advantage of horsepower. Seventeen turns, and not as many landmarks as I'd like. Reminds me of Ontario Motor Speedway, where there were 19 turns and some possibility of losing track of which was which in the infield sections.

My car is fairly well-suspended and moderate-powered, and with the 3.73 gears most of the course was run in mid-to-high third gear. With more learning and practice it seems to me I might find five or six places to use fourth, rather than the two where I actually shifted and two others I should have but chose to coast or keep cruising at/to the rev limit.

Still plodding along with the new-computer blues ( it won't accept input from my favored MS Natural wide-body keyboard, so my efforts on the standard item result in a lot of back-spacing and re-typing) and trying to figure out Photo Shop Elements. Just two more pics at this point:

Geneva's 'phone pic as we are ready to go on track (The t-sirt says: "The Older I Get - The Faster I Was")
orig.jpg

At the top of Turn 9 (?) - all the track pictures are by CaliPhotographic.com; they have a trailer on-site, where within minutes of the end of a session you can review their images and have them printed or written to CD
orig.jpg

frank s

at Play in San Diego, CA
It did work. Looked cool. Was that one full lap?

Yes; he crosses the start-finish line behind the pit wall at about 20 seconds in and the clip ends just after he crosses it on the track, at the end of a lap.

The track is very much a challenge, and it doesn't show in the videos, but there are elevation changes at turns 9-10 and 11-12. Number 9 is off-camber and makes the transition to 10 very exciting.

I'm looking forward to trying it again after I gather a few dollars. This time of year that may be a little difficult.

frank s

at Play in San Diego, CA
This one is lightened up a bit so you can see the faces a little. That's Dave in the right seat.

5118085775_dfdbaba62c_o.jpg

frank s

at Play in San Diego, CA
It's definitely a must-do for SoCal Mustang folks who like to grind rubber off tires and pour gasoline through their engines.

Here is access to the October 16 photos by CaliPhotography.com, so you can see what kind of cars were there and on track:
StarCars Saturday

I don't know why there are no Sunday photos. Maybe the camera guy got tired and went home, or had another offer for Sunday.

There is another similar event scheduled for November 13-14

Find the StarCars Self-tech form to see what kind of things they are interested in as far as safety equipment goes. When I asked how we'd know what numbers to use they said that with so few cars (fifteen or twenty?) not to worry about numbers; if there was any chance of confusion they'd require them. I wouldn't have put mine on, but I did pay for them (iZoomgraphics.com) and carry them all the way there. Seemed like a wasted opportunity if I didn't use them.

And there is a better video of a lap or two in a Corvette:
Chuckwalla laps

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
I will have to wait until next year, when my car is all fixed.

dtopford

Whats the deal with the nose ring in all the cars? is that a requirement? how is it atached? more importantly how is it removed after?

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Whats the deal with the nose ring in all the cars? is that a requirement? how is it atached? more importantly how is it removed after?

I think that's for the tow vehicle to hook on to your car to pull you out in case you run off the track and get stuck in the sand or gravel.

dtopford

Thats what I thought but I would like to know how they are installed and removed after the fact without holes in the bumpers