• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Craigslist find

2K7GTCS

This car is in VERY good condition. Well maintained and very clean. The prices for these things is all over the map.

I'd buy it, and if somebody else doesn't get it first, I'll go back and make a deal when I return from my road trip in two weeks. Let the bidding begin...

2K7GTCS

The Cobra is worth 6800 tops unless the mileage is under 40,000
I'm not certain this is an accurate assessment of the current market realities.
A quick nationwide search yields interesting results for the average asking prices for this generation of Cobra.

What I see is a trend toward valuing these cars as toys for the middle class:
  • Not good for daily driving
  • Not good on fuel consumption
  • Good for "Road Therapy" AKA Enthusiastic Driving
Pricing for therapeutic toys will always depend on what someone is willing to pay, and in bourgeois America, that seems to be around 9 to 10k for a 100k mile 14 year old car with 300hp and 4 wheel disk brakes.

So 8k for an unmolested well maintained 1998 Cobra is actually the current fair market value for these cars.

Reactions: Red

Ford1288

Donator
The Cobra is worth 6800 tops unless the mileage is under 40,000

I have to disagree. One this stock and well maintained should and will fetch 8k. Plus the hard to find color.

Micah, if you are serious and want me to go look at it let me know.

Ford1288

Donator
I am really torn on this lightning... I have been texting with him for a couple days now and I really love his truck. I have recently been considering selling my bronco and Cobra to downsize and this makes me want to even more.

The good:
8lbs of boost
2 1/2 years on new paint ($2100)
Passes smog
Clean interior, AC and heat work!
105k miles
How often do you see trucks like this??
Similar trucks run in the 8.5-8.0 range.
No car payment/cheaper insurance

The bad
Losing my cobra and bronco....
Terrible gas mileage
Losing the reliability for a daily driver (still have motorcycle)
I have two dogs to sometimes transport
Not intercooled
Old technology

What do you guys think?

Ford1288

Donator
a6935820-6d8a-30cf.jpg

a6935820-6d98-e231.jpg

a6935820-6da5-d991.jpg

a6935820-6db3-4d28.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337290102.020013.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337290102.020013.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 122

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Well, you sell two to get one. What's the gas mileage of the Cobra compare to the Lightning. I believe it is at least better then the Bronco. You still have your Fox and like you mentioned, the motorcycle for daily. Couldn't you fit your dogs in the cab of the truck?
I personally like the Lighnting. Looks clean in the pictures. Its not often you see a first gen Lightning this clean and low mileage.

Ford1288

Donator
That's a good deal, however my bright Atlantic blue is much rarer than a mystic. 552 coupes BAB vs 2,000 something mystics.

Ford1288

Donator
Well, you sell two to get one. What's the gas mileage of the Cobra compare to the Lightning. I believe it is at least better then the Bronco. You still have your Fox and like you mentioned, the motorcycle for daily. Couldn't you fit your dogs in the cab of the truck?
I personally like the Lighnting. Looks clean in the pictures. Its not often you see a first gen Lightning this clean and low mileage.

The Cobra usually gets 20mpg. On the Knotts trip it got 26mpg. However I never drive it. Only time I drive the cobra is in the rain, or for mustang stuff (shows, cruises, etc) what do I need two show cars for? I have barely driven the bronco the past 2 1/2 years. It's awesome, but I barely drive it. Ugh, I'm so torn.

wickedbird

I have to disagree. One this stock and well maintained should and will fetch 8k. Plus the hard to find color.

Micah, if you are serious and want me to go look at it let me know.

I am still in Japan until mid June. When I get back I might be looking for another toy.