• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine trouble questions

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
Hey, I talked to Greg a bit ago and I have a question. Would having the stock spark plugs with a -3 degree timing cause the detonation, cause he said try a 2 colder plug. I want to know before I get anything and I will check them when I get home.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
what is your gap set at? Ethan come by the house this weekend and let me look at it.

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
K, I have no Idea, but is that timing aggressive or not? What day this weekend and at what time?

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
How about tonight, I have to give Albert the money for the shirts anyways.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Do you have aluminum heads? If so than you need to run a colder plug. What plugs are in it now? -3 degrees timing means nothing if we don't know what the total timing is. I don't care if the car was tuned for 87 that is not a good idea to run the car with 87. Especially the way you race it at the track.

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
Lol, yeah, I know now, I don't know what the gap is.

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
I have aluminum heads, and I have no idea what plugs are in them

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
They are white, it says that they have a .044 gap, but I looked at their catalog and it isn't mentioned for my year of Mustang.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
The plugs are gapped by the installer. White is not good. They should be tan. Can you take a pic? Maybe without a flash?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
What ignition does it have? Also you need to get a water temp gauge. Your car may be running hot.

IgottaV8

Staff member
Board Member
No it is not running hot, It seems to run fine, what is normal water temp for agressive driving. It is like 160-180 when I am cruising on the freeway.