• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New member here need a little help

Ive got an 03 gt vert 5 speed and the check engine light flashes and car cuts out a little bit then it stops flashing and the car runs great .. It does this every once in a while... I changed the plugs cause it was the cheapest to do I had the check ranging code check they were misfires is this a normal thing that happens to these what could it be? Thanks guys

northerncountry

I am not a Two valve pro but I would check your plug coils sometimes those go bad. Also just for good measure I would run some Sea foam though it and try to clean out the sensors.... My 2 cents

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Ive got an 03 gt vert 5 speed and the check engine light flashes and car cuts out a little bit then it stops flashing and the car runs great .. It does this every once in a while... I changed the plugs cause it was the cheapest to do I had the check ranging code check they were misfires is this a normal thing that happens to these what could it be? Thanks guys
If you checked your codes the misfire would have giving you a code.. do you have that code number? So we can help you further.. misfires are not always associated with electrical.. plugs, coils, etc..

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

SilverCobra7

Donator
Your problem could also be an injector... Usually a code scanner pin points which cylinder has the misfire and you could go from there. Had this happen on my parents F-150... Coil ended up been bad.

SnakeBit

If you have a code coming up for a misfire on a specific cylinder. It would be limited to spark plug, injector, coil, or bent valve resulting in no compression. If you have a misfire still there after replacing the plugs, you will feel it during normal driving. If the problem is still there, unplug the injector to that cylinder while the engine is running. Listen and see if the idle changes. If idle changes, then the injector is good. Next, swap a coil and see if the misfire goes to the swapped cylinder. That will tell you if the coil is bad.

I don't think it's a bent valve or at least I hope so ... Cause the car run awesome normally it only misses every once in a while.... Then it goes away...

SilverCobra7

Donator
I don't think it's a bent valve or at least I hope so ... Cause the car run awesome normally it only misses every once in a while.... Then it goes away...
How's the charge on the battery? is it at/or above 14V... Alternator could be going bad throwing up the flashing CEL and coils lose voltage!

SilverCobra7

Donator
Yes... a bad alternator will cause misfires cause of the drop in Voltage. I would check it to be on the safe side. Then you could go from there... Test your coils with multimeter and if that checks out, move to your injectors.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk