• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new member my first mustang!!

vico's97

Hi, to everybody i was checking the page and its really cool, i'm in san diego and this would be my first mustang, and it feels good :cool: to drive one of this cars..

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Welcome Vico, to Wicked Stangs! Check out our calendar to see what we have coming up in San Diego. Come out and join us if you can. Get to meet some of the San Diego members. Also, congrats on your first Mustang. Let us know if you have any questions on any mods you want to do. Again, welcome.

vico's97

Welcome Vico, to Wicked Stangs! Check out our calendar to see what we have coming up in San Diego. Come out and join us if you can. Get to meet some of the San Diego members. Also, congrats on your first Mustang. Let us know if you have any questions on any mods you want to do. Again, welcome.
Thank you, and yes i'll take a look to the calendar for the events, and questions, man there's a lot of them the car came with a lot of mod's but the one that really worries me, its about the gears, somebody told me that's why my speedo its off by 20mph, and he told me it can mess up my tranny... also im looking for a place to get it dyno tune, i am in spring valley too...

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
What gear do you have? The 20mph difference makes me think you have a 4.10 in there. Do you have a manual or auto? The speed is easily corrected if you have a tuner. Just need to put in the correct gear ratio in the tuner and your speed will read correctly. I have 3.73 in mine and had 4.30s before. Your gear will not mess up your transmission. Whoever told you it will mess up your tranny, well, I will just say he is incorrect. Most of the guys have their gear swapped out and never had an issue. We do our own gear changes in the club and not one of us that have changed it have had any issues.
As for dyno tune, what year is your Mustang, 1997? Locally, there's CCCmotorsports or JBA. If you don't mind the drive, RET in Downey is recommended. Be prepared to pay between $450-$550 for a custom tune and you will need to purchase a handheld tuner too. Put a list of mods you have in your car and we can tell you if a custom tune is worth it. You can always get an email tune from Bama tuning that includes a handheld tuner and they work just as well. You can purchase that on American Muscle and the club has a 5% discount with American Muscle. Just something to think about.

vico's97

What gear do you have? The 20mph difference makes me think you have a 4.10 in there. Do you have a manual or auto? The speed is easily corrected if you have a tuner. Just need to put in the correct gear ratio in the tuner and your speed will read correctly. I have 3.73 in mine and had 4.30s before. Your gear will not mess up your transmission. Whoever told you it will mess up your tranny, well, I will just say he is incorrect. Most of the guys have their gear swapped out and never had an issue. We do our own gear changes in the club and not one of us that have changed it have had any issues.
As for dyno tune, what year is your Mustang, 1997? Locally, there's CCCmotorsports or JBA. If you don't mind the drive, RET in Downey is recommended. Be prepared to pay between $450-$550 for a custom tune and you will need to purchase a handheld tuner too. Put a list of mods you have in your car and we can tell you if a custom tune is worth it. You can always get an email tune from Bama tuning that includes a handheld tuner and they work just as well. You can purchase that on American Muscle and the club has a 5% discount with American Muscle. Just something to think about.
Ok, my car automatic 1997 GT some of the mods that i can see are... BBK headers, flowmaster cat back exhaust, intake with professional products upper intake plenum & throttle body, the gears but dont know what size, and not sure about the pi head swap (in my opinion they look different than the stock ones) those are the mods that i can see, also like i said the car came from L.A from auction, and it came with Hoosier tires on the back, and tokico suspension kit ,the blue ones... not sure if it has more mods. so what tune would you recommend?? dyno, or hand held tuner?? Thank you very much for the help..

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Ok, my car automatic 1997 GT some of the mods that i can see are... BBK headers, flowmaster cat back exhaust, intake with professional products upper intake plenum & throttle body, the gears but dont know what size, and not sure about the pi head swap (in my opinion they look different than the stock ones) those are the mods that i can see, also like i said the car came from L.A from auction, and it came with Hoosier tires on the back, and tokico suspension kit ,the blue ones... not sure if it has more mods. so what tune would you recommend?? dyno, or hand held tuner?? Thank you very much for the help..

Either custom or hand held tuner, you will need to know the mods that's in there to be effective. I would say go with a mail tune from bama for right now. That way you will get the tuner itself and you can have your tune updated through the email. That could work better with what you have.
As for your gears, my guess would be you have either a 4.10 or 4.30 given its an auto and have a 20 mph difference. That's how mine was when I put my 4.30s in, it had about a 20 mph difference on my speedo.

vico's97

Either custom or hand held tuner, you will need to know the mods that's in there to be effective. I would say go with a mail tune from bama for right now. That way you will get the tuner itself and you can have your tune updated through the email. That could work better with what you have.
As for your gears, my guess would be you have either a 4.10 or 4.30 given its an auto and have a 20 mph difference. That's how mine was when I put my 4.30s in, it had about a 20 mph difference on my speedo.
ok, thank you for the info, how can i find out if its tuned?? before i buy the tuner.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
ok, thank you for the info, how can i find out if its tuned?? before i buy the tuner.

Unfortunately I don't think you can, unless someone has a reader that can read your car's computer, usually dealers have those tools, not sure if they are available outside. I could be wrong, if someone knows, please chimed in. But the easiest way would be the previous owner, but since you mentioned it was an auction by, that is probably out of the question. But I'm thinking its not since your speedo is off. If its tuned, your speedometer would be accurate.

vico's97

:mad: was so exited to get my engine detailed, got it done, got the check engine light on, erase the code they said that it was the spark plug #4 on my way home got check engine light on again, but i notice a lot of loss of power, and some really small explosions on the exhaust but not loud, engine light on and then starts to flash and stays on...what can i do to fix it?? i know i have toooo many questions but im new to this:cold:

vico's97

yes water was used and it has a cai but the didnt covered, cause the filter is inside the fender, let me post some pictures...