• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new s197 wheel fitment

ears

aight, so i bought a new set of wheels. they are sweet 19 inch wheels,,, i know a bit big,,, but they look great on the car. only problem is,,,,, the fronts fit like a dream.... but the rears rub on the inner wheel well. so i need to figure out a way to fix this little problem.

how i see it. theres three things i can do.

one, put spacers on it. however this would be a bad idea, because, the wheel already sticks out of the well a little bit.

two, cut the inner wheel well, which would be great but it would also be a pain in the ass to do. and i would be worried about the edges eventually hitting the tire and shredding them.

then theres number three, i could raise the back end of the car up just a bit, to allow the wheels to travel without rubbing, it may work it may not,,,, im not sure yet. it would however look mean as hell,,,,,

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

DSCN0956.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
sawzall, 3.5 inch angle grinder with cut off wheel, torch, hammer/chisel, hacksaw, or if your McGyver you can use cheing gum, sawdust, saw dust and duct tape....that will do the trick.

Seriously, tub the inner wheelwell a little bit...just got to cut it back and then make/buy an inner wheelwell to weld into place.....shouldnt be too hard and it will be done right the first time.....

ears

well,,, i can throw up pics... but they wont be any good... i cant move the car right now. i dont have wheels that fit on the back end. and the k member is partially unbolted..... so getting a decent pic will be near impossible

ears

any way. i did get some small spacers to put on it. and they pulled the wheel away from the wall a little bit. and so as it sets, it doesnt rub. but as soon as i hit a bump, its gonna tear up the tire.

so im gonna trim down the wheel well where it rubs.
keep the spacer on it.
and put taller springs on the back end.

this will eliminate most of where it would touch. pull it away from where it would rub. and push where it would rub higher than the point at which it would rub if that makes any sence.

oh and thanks to gibs for lending me the tools to f up the cobra a bit.

ears

i dont know what your talkin about..... i put gibs..... loser.....

yea im gonna need the rears... that is if theyll even fit. your lowering springs looked alot thicker than mine do. im not sure though... i guess well see when you pull em out.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I loaned you tools? Couldn't be me, I am an asshole........

Seriously, pm me what you need and when you are gonna get it.

Gib

ears

getting the cut off tool from gibs tonight..... hopefully the wells will be chopped by this weekend... as soon as i have a chance!

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I may suggest getting a sawzall for this type of thing.... I think it would be a better job with one too.

ears

thats a reciprocating saw there genious! lol!!!\

well i got the tool of choice. a reciprocating saw, a bfh, and a few wrenches.

let there be meyham!!!!

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yes you did..... LOL

BTW: for those that didnt know, Ears asked for an air cut off tool.....turned out he needed an air compressor to run it...LOL he forgot to mention that little piece of info.....HAHA I loaned him my reciprocating saw instead.. Hope it works, and I need it back as soon as you are done....I got some cutting to do soon.....

Yes it is technically called a reciprocating saw, but alot of people know it as a sawzall...sorry to confuse you.....I dont understand how you got that mixed up with a hacksaw though...

Gib

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
Ears Hey I have a 2006GT I would trade over my springs to you if it helps. I would like your 6ers for the rear of my car though. They are out of my car and sitting in my garage. Gibs if he says yes e-mail me on the boat and I will send my wife a e-mail and you can do the swap. I plan on putting my Front stock springs back in with 6 cyl springs for back to help transfer weight at the track. The cobra jet GT500 runs this set up. Maybe it will help with the bouncing between shifts