• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

no idle

KillerBee

so i went racing last friday at fontana after i had gotten the car retuned. the first two passes where good but she slowed way down on the third one. then half way home the check engine light came on and the blower was makeing a strange sound. i got two codes from the car "P1132" and "H0251" they mean bank 1 rich , lean bank 2.and now when i start the car it will almost die then the rpms will shoot up bast 1k. the car does that for a bit then idles at 900 rpm but when i give it some gas it starts doing it again. also some time when i put it into drive it will just die. i have looked for a vacuum leek but cant find one everything looks right and nothing is losse as far as i can tell. so any ideas as to what is wrong and how i could fix it?

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
hmmm, let me do some research. have you tried clearing the codes and seeing if it trips again? do you have a tuner to delete them. if not disconnect your battery and drain the system.

KillerBee

yeah i been emailing they guy he isnt suer what up with it and offered to take a look but his shop is a two hour drive from my house and i dont think it would be a good idea to drive the car that far like this. so any one want to give us a lift? lol

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
i'd do it, but im in NC. sorry man. all i can think of is make sure your maf is clean. theres no boost/vac leaks and everything is plugged in right. another thing you can check is the CPS. i know that joker had this problem and the cam gear on his CPS was bad. it said bank lean aswell. im not too sure of the 4.6 layout, but i would check there

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
the 4.6 has a camshaft position sensor....heres some reading i got

"You Mustang's camshaft position sensor does pretty much exactly what it's name implies. It relays the position of your Mustang's camshaft to the computer. Information such as engine speed and engine cycle position are pulled from the camshaft position sensor.

Some symptoms of your Mustang's camshaft position sensor failing are: engine dying at random, check engine light coming on, engine will turn over but not start, dying at stops, or the engine will crank but will not start back up. "

02gt

sounds like computer issues, getting lean in one side and rich on the other.... Kb if you come over tomorrow after 12 i'll look at it and see if we cant figure it out

Lordgufi

rich on one bank and lean on the other, this Honestly sounds to me more like an issue with the fuel pump or injectors, that or its all the ecu.

This all seems to be dealing with the o2 sensors so be sure to check the wires. they all sit pretty close to the headers/pipes/drive shaft so possibly on a launch they jumped in the way of fire or something?

Im shooting in the dark honestly. however. i get o2 sensor codes all the time with no ill effects. if you have a tuner, try reflashing the tune if possible. thats a hard reset on the codes and such.

... now that i think about it... check your maf and your idle motor on the intake plenum, mebbe one died/is dying? that would cause really irregular idle/o2 sensor codes.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
o2 sensors would have a code and make a check engine light. im telling you, i read a lot about this this afternoon. check out the CPS. im not 100% sure, but thats what i think it is, also jokers car was saying the same thing when his crankshaft positioning sensor gear broke off.

M

Mustangcwo

Yes on both occasions. First check your MAF and make certain all the wiring is in tact and that it is clean. Then check the crank shaft positioner to make certain it is working properly. If you can data log, you can check the MAF voltages.

Crankshaft positioner:
First: Remove and clean the sensor and then reinstall. Normally, this will fix that problem.
Second: Magnetic crank sensors can be tested by unplugging the electrical connector and checking resistance between the appropriate terminals. If resistance is not within specs, the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

Magnetic crank position sensors produce an alternating current when the engine is cranked so a voltage output check is another test that can be performed. With the sensor connected, read the output voltage across the appropriate module terminals while cranking the engine. If you see at least 20 mV on the AC scale, the sensor is good, meaning the fault is probably in the module. If the output voltage is low, remove the sensor and inspect the end of it for rust or debris (magnetic sensors will attract iron and steel particles). Clean the sensor, reinstall it and test again. Make sure it has the proper air gap (if adjustable) because the spacing between the end of the sensor and the reluctor wheel or notches in the crankshaft will affect sensor output voltage. If the air gap is correct and output is still low, replace the sensor.

Hall effect crankshaft position sensors typically have three terminals; one for current feed, one for ground and one for the output signal. The sensor must have voltage and ground to produce a signal, so check these terminals first with an analog voltmeter. Sensor output can be checked by unplugging the DIS module and cranking the engine to see if the sensor produces a voltage signal. The voltmeter needle should jump each time a shutter blade passes through the Hall effect switch. If observed on an oscilloscope, you should see a square waveform. No signal would tell you the sensor has failed.

Hope this helps.

Todd

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
from what i have read he doesnt have a crankshaft positioning sensor, its a camshaft positioning sensor.....can anyone familiar with the 4.6 confirm this??

M

Mustangcwo

I'm not certain about his year and model, but some 4.6 motors did come with a crankshaft positioner. I'll look it up.

01-04 Ford Mustang Crankshaft position indicator 1W7E- 6C315- AA

Lordgufi

all 4.6's have a crank shaft position sensor and cam angle sensor, the pre 98's used an EDIS module as where the 98+ have the coil drivers in the ecu. aside from that no differences in the engine

cam shaft sensor is located under the power steering resivoir and the crank angle sensor is on the passenger side of the block sticking out on the side by the crank pully

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Before checking all of those fancy doodads pull and check all of the spark plugs. They may lead you to your problem.

Lordgufi

indeed, with what orange is saying... the problem is consistant enough.. and broad enough to one of 20 things on the car, rough idle issues are hard to diagnose, you really just gotta start with the small things and then work up to the Pita ones to check