• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

slammed.....

Jesse

Donator
I have the racecraft/saleen shocks struts so they aren't exactly just for show lol but have read about spring rate and having the spring/strut ” tuned” or balanced to the spring therefore why coil overs are great because they are in perfect unison, if my handling will decrease and/or car would just ride like shit (don't mind stiff, can live through it) then I don't want any part of it, was just wondering, how'd you get your front end so low ferocious? How the handling?

Ferocious

Chula Vista
I have some SVE springs with all isos in place. The car is lowered about 2". Everything else was stock at that point. Last week however i put in some KYB shocks/struts on all 4 corners. The front is a bit higher now. I plan on removing the isos in the rear and cutting half a coil on my sve springs as well as getting tokico struts.

I was thinking about running a coilover setup but at $700 just for the fronts, i'll pass.

And my car use to ride like shit. Now that i have some newer shocks/struts it rides much smoother. I do need new ball joints however, but i'll swap those out whenever i lower the front again.

Jesse

Donator
When you say like shit tho is that just REALLY stiff or all bouncy? And I do have great springs and shocks/struts and my ride right now ain't that bad, she don't exactly like rough roads or dips in the road, but neither does a porsche...but at the moment she rides pretty well and handles very nice, just don't wanna ruin my handling or be all bouncy, if my handling stayed same or better, and the ride was the same or ONLY stiffer I would think cutting just a tad off (1/2”) would work out...just don't know if that's the way it'll work lol

Ferocious

Chula Vista
Well it use to be very bouncy all over the road with the stock struts/stocks. If your springs are linear, then you can cut half a coil and it won't affect the ride quality. That should lower the car about 0.75". If you're worried about it affecting your ride too much, i'd just save up for a MM coilover setup.

Jesse

Donator
Alright thanks a bunch man, I'll twirl it around in my head a lil more to see if I decide to do it or not, thanks for the input appreciate it big time...coilovers would be awesome just so damn expensive.

Ferocious

Chula Vista
I hear you. I wanna run a coilover setup in the front of mine as well, but i'll save so much money just cutting a bit of the coil and just upgrading the struts.

'03snkbt

I'm skeptical when it comes to cutting springs. I would recommend changing brands...H&R race, X2 ball joints, and NO iso's did the trick for me. I maybe have 1/4" clearance form top tire to fenderwall and do not lack in ride quality.
Just the other week, had a little street fun on the interstate with zero issues....no scrubbing.

Ferocious

Chula Vista
I'm not too big a fan of cutting springs either, but my springs lowered my car 2.08" and there really isn't a spring on the market that will beat that. Unless i go coilovers.. but i'm too poor.

'03snkbt

hoping to install my coilover setup this coming up winter/early spring. going ALL tubular and only lacking new motor mounts. i actually got lucky and basically stole this set-up!!! (WIN)

Jesse

Donator
alright sorry it took a couple days to get back but I needed time to take pics...I ended up cutting the front springs and am VERY happy with the results. If you were looking at the spring from a side angle I cut off a piece 3" long, and if you were looking at the drop (using a level) from where it was to where it would be it was a 3/8" drop...this translated to a grand total of a 3/4" drop and took about two full days to fully have the springs "drop" or "set" (not quite sure the propper term) the car's ride quality did not change no worse, no better, bumpsteer is the same as was, BUT something else did change :) handling got BETTER, I was skepitical and was thinking it was placebo effect but there are a couple roads that I drive frequently and take my car to to test things out, and had two different people that have been on my little test runs with me and no joke handling SIGNIFICANTLY improved! Made me damn happy, and the drop looks wise is exactly what I needed/wanted for my current set up! Now of course the ONLY reason it turned out as good as it did and did not realy effect ride quality was the face that I have awesome struts and the fact that I had linear springs, wouldn't have worked even a little bit without them
Before...
IMAG0401.jpg

After
IMAG0409.jpg

Its kinda hard to see it but its there...3/4" of a drop.

'03snkbt

Can definitely see the rake difference. Looks good/better! Really like that color blue.....CLEAN!!