• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Time to upgrade the head gaskets

M

Mustangcwo

I guess my new power pipe added just a little to much to my stock head gaskets. Never seen one blow this bad or burn clean through the metal.

It wasn't even a good run at Qualcomm! :nonono:

I'm having the heads groved and then using metal raised O-Ring gaskets to support the beast within!! :rock:

HeadGasket.jpg

CPRstreetmachines

Figure out what caused it. If it pinged, the better head gaskets will take the detonation for a good bit, the pistons will go before the HG next time. Not good.

M

Mustangcwo

Car was not overheating enough that the radiator could not handle it. I do not believe that pinging or detonation caused the problem. Since I am using iron heads, I believe the head lifted a little under full power...racing...and the gasket gave up. I'm only at 12 deg of timing under full boost and doubt that detonation or pinging was the problem.

I'll keep an ear open to hear if it is pinging when I take it out for a test drive.
Next time I race, I'll be mixing in some race fuel to keep it safe.

northerncountry

There was no pinging at the Q usnlightning, IgotaV8, Yose and I were there and didn't hear anything like that. just what sounded like puffs of air exccapeing!

GLDNPNY

Yeah I agree. But then again we wouldn't have heard pinging at idle in the parking lot anyway. We were so sure it was a valvetrain sound no one thought to pop the radiator cap and see if he was bubblin. Oh well, that's group think for you.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Todd, sorry to see the car had problem. Hopefully you got it fixed and ready to go. Knowing you, you probably already have it up and running again. =)

M

Mustangcwo

The car is in the shop at JBA having the new heads put on. The new roller rockers and push rods should arrive today/tomorrow and assembly will begin. I should have the car back either Friday or Saturday and then I will have to start tuning the new heads. Time to put the Tweecer to work. :rock:

JBA GUY

The car is in the shop at JBA having the new heads put on. The new roller rockers and push rods should arrive today/tomorrow and assembly will begin. I should have the car back either Friday or Saturday and then I will have to start tuning the new heads. Time to put the Tweecer to work. :rock:
+

What heads did you go with?

Dustin

M

Mustangcwo

The head gasket blew between cylinders and it was bad. The intake gaskets were fine and no sign of leakage. I've never hears a head gasket sound like that before, but I never had one blow between cylinders.

Here are pictures of the new heads. Edelbrock Performance Heads RPM:
Edel001.jpg

Edel002.jpg

Edel003.jpg

M

Mustangcwo

More pics of the difference in valves and porting:

003.jpg

004.jpg

GT40 Porting
005.jpg

Edelbrock Porting
006.jpg

Moved up to 2.02 intake
007.jpg

And 1.60 Exhaust
008.jpg

M

Mustangcwo

sweet should make it breath that much better Very cool CWO!!!

Yes, probably too much...LOL. No worries though. I could not afford the AFR 185 heads and these were a good price for aluminum. Wont know the real results until I get the car at the track. I hope to get at least one pull in before it comes out of the shop to check HP and A/F ratio. If not, I'll have to start data logging this weekend and make some adjustments with the Tweecer.

The old heads flowed at 190 (.600) and the new heads flow 250 (.600)

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Todd just to clarify...

Those are Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads.. With a 2.02 x 1.60 valves? Nice.. They are not over kill for you application and boost amount.

When you wrote Edelbrock Performance Heads 225 that is miss leading:)