• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Crazy Idle,help!!

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
my favorite place to look for car parts is the junkyard. you can check there for a new pump if infact yours is bad

Gawthle

do i need to pull the pump out of another 87 5.0, or will a range of years and models work, or what

anyone? i would really like to get this taken care of as soon as i can

W

wickedstangs

Check your local autozone find out how much it is and let us know or like BJ says go to your local Junk Yard...

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
junkyards rule. check out the ones in browns field. if you cant find what you need there, then....well, you'll find it

Gawthle

wickedstangs said:
Check your local autozone find out how much it is and let us know

its 49.99 at kragen, pepboys etc, including the core charge.

isnt there a way to test it to make sure its bad before i go replacing it?

or do they go out all the time?

W

wickedstangs

check for visual signs, like the connector maybe disconnected from the unit or the connector is broken something is wrong cause it telling the computer.

its 49.99 at kragen, pepboys etc, including the core charge.

Buy it and try it out if it works keep it, if it doesnt return it. But, first check the unit first. Pumps go bad all the time.

Gawthle

well...replaced the smog pump, reset the codes, let the car sit with the negative disconnected from the battery for a few hours...the idle is still allll over the place...no improvement at all. all the hoses going to the pump and the vacum switch coming off the pump are fine

what now?

Gawthle

now the codes that are left are
51 - ECT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts.
67 - Neutral safety circuit failure.
82 - Air management 1 circuit failure (AM1/TAB)
98 - Electronic pressure control driver open in EEC (E4OD) / Hard fault present.

W

wickedstangs

Gawthle said:
now the codes that are left are
98 - Electronic pressure control driver open in EEC (E4OD) / Hard fault present.

Gawthle something is telling me you are doing something wrong checking your codes. Most of these faults are KOER(Key On Engine Running) test. Where are your KOEO (Key On Engine Off) test?

Gawthle

wickedstangs said:
Gawthle something is telling me you are doing something wrong checking your codes. Most of these faults are KOER(Key On Engine Running) test. Where are your KOEO (Key On Engine Off) test?

key on, engine off = 51, 67, 82

ket on, engine running = 98 51

W

wickedstangs

Gawthle said:
key on, engine off = 51, 67, 82

ket on, engine running = 98 51

Gawthle, for the fault code 51 make sure to check the connector.
Code 51 - ECT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts

Possible Faults
  • Open Circuit in Harness
  • Sensor Signal Short to Power
  • Damaged Sensor
  • Improper Harness Connection
  • Damaged PCM

Most likely a bad ECT sensor, but it requires diagnosis. The code is only telling you that at some point the PCM got a faulty reading on the ECT circuit. You need to find out what part of the circuit caused that reading, it could be the sensor, the connector at the sensor, the wiring between the sensor and the PCM, or the PCM itself.

Gawthle
Check out this video.. Very Important.. Fix Code 67
For those of you out there that didn't believe the importance of the neutral switches circuit (failure code 67) for a proper idle control, prevent the infamous rolling/surging idle till it stalls condition.
CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO