• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pulled the axle today [**Started Build Up!**]

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well needless to say I'm exhausted, but so far so good. I pulled the axle in order to weld the axle tubes to the housing. Hard launches on slicks can cause the axle tubes to bend and break.

As some of you already know, while the axle is out I will also be swapping out the 3.73's for 4.88's.

I found a place to weld the axle tubes for $145 if you bring them the empty housing. I was thinking of making a jig to do it myself, but it would require some doing and some machining. Still not sure which route I will take, but right now I'm leaning towards the quicker way which will be to take the axle in.

I will post pics when it is done.

Here is what my garage looks like right now. :(

DSCN0584.jpg

DSCN0585.jpg

atlblue98gt

Greer, SC
wonder if I should weld mine. Since Im gonna be launching on et streets a lot this year. I still gotta pull my cover off and put my superior axle back in. But Its looking good. Let me know how this process comes. I might need to do mine this way. Does welding them affect daily driving?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
wonder if I should weld mine. Does welding them affect daily driving?

Absolutely NOT. Look at where your tubes meet the housing. There is just a plug weld holding the tube into the pumpkin. Welding the tubes to the housing insures that they won't twist and break out of there.

This process has to be done with a jig to insure the axle tubes don't move. Some will say you can weld 6, 12, 3, 9 and let it cool, but I don't advise it because if it does move you will start wasting parts bearings could be side loaded etc.

If you can't get to the tubes just yet check out my other thread on axle bracing. You could order a set of those and that will also prevent the tubes from twisting under load. Hope that helped. Good luck! :rock:

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Ok guys just an update on my findings. After calling 3 different shops I finally tracked down the guy who does the axles. The gentleman's name is Bob Meyer. He is located at 1445 pioneer way in El Cajon Ca.

If you bring him your empty axle housing he will set up a jig and weld your axle tubes to the housing for just $85. To get 9" ends welded and the axle straightened is $100 for the ends and $150 for the labor. This is a really good deal and I saw some of his work in the shop today. There were some beefed up 9" rears in there! The guy has been in this line of work for over 40yrs. He knows what he's doing!

Anyway, just thought I would pass this along for future reference.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well, Tom and I took my axle over to Bob Meyer Racing today, so the tubes can get welded. He said o.k. it will be $85 dollars I'll call you when it's done.

Well, he called me back a couple of hours later and said "Bobby do you want to gain 25hp?" Of course I knew exactly what that meant. He has an empty housing in front of him and it was BENT!!!

He said I'm likely losing in the neighborhood of 25hp from rolling resistance! Of course that would be hard to guesstimate, but he said the driver's side is 3/16" upward and the passenger side is 1/8" forward.

He said that he would straighten it and weld the tubes for $205 and that I could pick it up tomorrow! F-Yeah!! :rock:

This guy has been in the same little shop for 40yrs. He doesn't advertise, but he doesn't have to. Apparently he is the go to guy for all of the other shops here in El Cajon for all of their axle work.

I only wish I new about him sooner. I'll post pics of his work when I get it back.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I picked up the axle housing today. It was $200. The guy did an awesome job and now my axle is 100% straight! I'll be taking this to work to get blasted and painted black. I can't wait to get car back together with the new gears and transmission and go racing. :rock:

DSCN0593.jpg

DSCN0596.jpg

Daniboy1983

Those welds look great.

Are braces needed with welded tubes? I know the additional braces are good insurance, but are they really needed? I've never seen a tube bend. I've seen them break loose in the housing but never bend. Maybe I need to open my eyes too though.

M

Mustangcwo

Very nice thread Bobby. It makes me want to pull the rear axle and start taking measurements on my tubes. That's an awesome price and I'll have to look into getting everything welded up after MVTW. Once again...Thanks!!!