• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pulled the axle today [**Started Build Up!**]

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Those welds look great.

Are braces needed with welded tubes? I know the additional braces are good insurance, but are they really needed? I've never seen a tube bend. I've seen them break loose in the housing but never bend. Maybe I need to open my eyes too though.

I'm not sure if you read through the whole thread, but I stated that the tubes were bent. 3/16 of an inch is quite a bit and 1/8 on the other side. The 8.8 axles are heated then the tubes are pressed in and then hit with a dime size rod that gets fused to the pumpkin. This was done for speed and budget. It's not strong and the rosettes (plug welds) are hardly penetrating the steel and as a result are weak.

Welding the tubes to the center section should be enough, but anytime you triangulate you create strength. With the braces the tubes are even less likely to bend or twist under high loads.

This is the best thing you can do other than swapping to a 9" which will be my next step when it's time to upgrade.

Hope that answered your question?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Very nice thread Bobby. It makes me want to pull the rear axle and start taking measurements on my tubes. That's an awesome price and I'll have to look into getting everything welded up after MVTW. Once again...Thanks!!!

Thanks Todd. As easy as it is for you to do gears I would say pull it apart and get it done before you leave! The guy is good! He used to fix all of the axles from the california speedway days. Cars would wreck and he was the go to guy.

If not the axle braces are a good investment to help prevent any further damage. I only say that because I'll bet every foxbody car's axle tubes on the road are far from being straight!

Daniboy1983

I read your original post, but I forgot you mentioned the tubes were bent. That explains why both the braces and welded tubes.

Thanks

Tommy

Since I will be working around the axle, I am 'seriously' considering this while it will be torn apart

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I took my axle into work today and prepped it for blast and paint. Thanks Todd for your old rearend cover. It came in handy. :) Anyway, it was blasted and primed and will be painted black tomorrow morning. :rock:

PrimedAxle.jpg

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
who did that welding? man that is great work..... I know you weld, but wasnt sure if you did it....if so, thats what you need to do for a profession!

Looks great overall. I have mine out to clean it up for the classic.....I too am going to upgrade to a 9 inch from the 8 inch I have later on. I am not putting that much effort into it though.

Keep up the great work.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Mine are the booger welds on the tabs lol! Never in a million yrs could I have welded those tubes to the housing like that. That was professionally done by a guy who has been working on axles for over 40yrs.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
LOL @ Booger welds.....

Hell I went back and looked and those arent that bad at all. I bet they will hold no problem.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well the axle was painted this morning. I left it at work to dry. I will load it in the car tomorrow morning and bring it home when I get out of work. It's a bad pic, but you get the idea. Can't wait to put this thing together :rock:

AxlePainted.jpg