• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

X Pipe vs. H Pipe

W

wickedstangs

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Plan and Simple

X-Pipes generally make a little more HP and a little less torque than an aftermarket H-pipe.

H = low end torque
X = high end horsepower

Also, The H-Pipe will have a deeper sound, while the X-Pipe will have a higher pitched raspier sound.

fastsleeper

Why ya treat me like that?
Thanks everyone but I don't know what your initials stand for: H pipe / X pipe Did I miss it somewhere? I like the lower pitch sound over the high squealing one. I'll look again.

gmantheman

I don't know what that is but thank you anyway. :)
I had one on my 06 Mustang. Instead of an H or X it's box shaped. It is supposed to have the deep tone of the H but the flow of an X. I am not sure about the flow but it does produce a deep base like tone.

DrunkFatguy

I have the Prochamber and SLP's on mine. Very deep tone and loud. BTW can anyone tell me as I'm looking at going to longtubes with the prochamber if I have to change over to the other prochamber for longtubes or are the extension pipes that come with the Prochamber for shorty headers just deleted?

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
Im not sure, but when i went from 2.5" shorties and bbk o/r x to mac 3" long tubes and custom x i only picked up 1hp and 4 tq at the wheels, but it sounds so much better. The minimal hp gain is probably because the exhaust is too much for my car....at least for now ;)

JBA GUY

We manufacture both parts and Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did testing and there was NO difference in the
two. They actually said that the H-pipe made more power that the X-pipe in the test they did.

It is more for sound than anything else. H-pipe will give you the true muscle car sound and the X will give you more of a exotic exhaust note.

Dustin

gmantheman

Prochamber is supposed to flow like the X but have the deep tone of the H. I had prochamber with hi-flow cats on my 06 mustang. Any axleback will sound good with the prochamber. I had magnapacks and with the prochamber it produced a nice deep tone. Only downside was the drone. Right now I have an X -pipe and it sounds good as well. There are a lot of muscle cars from the 60s-70s that use X-pipes. With the right mufflers/axlebacks (S197), X pipes will give you a muscle car tone.