• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

engine question

kalop

Lemoore,Ca
Donator
Got a bare 2001 bare aluminum block well behind my couch... but came across a good deal on a DOHC engine... need some input on the best route to go.

fangs99

What year 4v engine are you looking at? How complete is it?
What are your plans with the block you have now?

yosemiddysam

Donator
4 Valves dont just drop right on in there like a lot of people think ........ It depends on years and what all comes with it. You will need wiring harnesses, I believe a computer, intake, exhaust manifolds, man the list gets long......I would say you could make a bit more power with the 4 Valve but it is quite a bit of work. I made over 400 horse on a 2 Valve built to the hilt with a lil ole 250 shot of giggle juice!!!!!

Foxman

A 2 valve with full exhaust and cams can make just about 300 wheel.. trust me i help build one at all out this last week... give them a call 559-445-1233 400 wheel could then be had with a little shot!

kalop

Lemoore,Ca
Donator
the 4v is complete no wiring harness or computer though... the block I have now my plan was this .020 or .030 overbore, cobra crank( forged cobra crank sitting here to) ported heads, comp cams XE262AH camshaft upgrade to a 75mm throttle body. of course forged pistons and rods. then slap a turbo on it was looking at maybe a 76mm from turbonetics or maybe a twin turbo setup. headers and exhaust is already there except maybe an X pipe addition.

fangs99

Well I was given a ride in a turbo auto gt about a week ago.
The motor is built with stock compression.
The turbo is a cheap $600 master power t70
This car flys. It laid down 689rwhp and 701rwtq
The car will run 9.90's on 275 50 15 DR's

But if you want to go 4v I have an extra set of heads that I need to get rid of. As long as your block isn't an 05+ block the heads should fit.

kalop

Lemoore,Ca
Donator
sweet 600 rwhp sounds great LOL now just putting together the right combination to get there. But turbo is a definate I just like the power they produce. I think hassle wise enough input from you guys say 2v is the way to go. But if you do need to get rid of the 4v valve heads and cams I think my buddy might be interested in them. Ill let you know on that.

Foxman

Good heads built buy one of the best machinist around!

And dont waste your money on that 2 valve man stick a chevy 6.0l in it and call it a day... make 400 wheel N/A! under 5k if you have a stick car

EASY...

Once i split this 5.0 in my fox thats whats going in it!

Foxman

Well all will hate once the 6.0 makes in my FOX.....

my car, no longer FORDs....

Tell me this... how many people do you know with a 2,3 or 4 valve running pump gas and making 450 wheel N/A??

2K7GTCS

So then, the answer to the original question is: Staying N/A? 4v is better than 2v. Under Pressure? Go for the least expensive & least complicated (2v).

On the other hand, if you are looking for best bang for the buck, then go big. A big motor is the cheapest way to go fast. However, as you probably already know, the Ford modular small block has too small of a bore to make big power N/A, even stroked to 5.4L. In fact it's worse, because with the long stroke, the cylinders will not properly fill above 5500 rpm! Many people have tried, but the simple fact is, the bore size creates a real limit to how much air you can pump through these things without using some type of boost.

Is it wrong to use GM powerplant in a FMC chassis? Of course not. But why would you? A properly built 331 roller pushrod motor can make 500hp at the crank N/A. Build THAT car, and everyone will be "un-blown" away!!!!!!!!

Car Craft - October 2008

I've been shopping for a '94 or '95 GT to use as a track car (AutoX & Road Course), and would like to mate this motor with a Tremec. With the proper suspension setup, I could make a LOT of Vette owners VERY unhappy. :evil:

Just my 3 cents...

~David

SingleTireFire05

Like I said if u cant make your ford run with a ford motor , then get u a chevy and play with it . Dont disrespect ford like that. Buy u a Nova or any other G M junk!!!!

elky406

If it's a 01 block its most likley a wam block.those are junk and wont live at 550 plus.I would do a 2v as a 4v swap is some cash and alot of work.