• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lower pulley size?

Wicked2000GT

I'm in the process in buying an lower pulley kit for my car and wanted to buy a 8lb pulley but i'm hearing that you can't go too big because the stock blower can't take it. What i wanted to know is how big can i go without damaging my blower? i have a stage 5 ported blower.

Ford1288

Donator
Im sure that there is a limit on the amount of boast the eaton can produce, but I dont know it. Im sure a little research could be done and you would find your anwser.

02gt

i think the eaton can be taken to 14 to 15 lbs but it about effeciancy the more boost you run the more heat it creates and the effeicency goes down, there is also the factor of overspinning the blower and with eaton frankly im not familar but i have a vortech and one of the big things about the blower is to make sure that you dont over spin the blower. Now on the overdrive pulley, i believe there is a ATI and innovators west is very popular... (i recomend the 10% OD) http://www.suttonhp.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=186&DEPARTMENT_ID=121

Z0 What?

My buddy has a 4lb lower on his I believe, boostin about 14 or 15lbs
I can hang with him till about 3rd then he goes out a car length or so....he runs like low 11's....
I can ask him about it if you want, he works at Henessey!!!

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
an 8lb lower on a stg 5 should be fine the only thing is you got to change your alternator pulley cuz it will over spin your alternator. i still have a 4lb lower not installed but it is going on. atleast until i can get the turbo. but i suggest a higher impedence heat exchanger to use in conjunction with the 8lb. mine is not ported.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
The larger the pulley, the more boost. Here are some approximate boost numbers.
Approximate Lower Crank Pulley Max Boost
2 Lb.: 10.7 lbs.
4 Lb.: 12 lbs.
6 Lb.: 12.9 lbs.
8 Lb.: 13.7 lbs.
10 Lb.: 14.4 lbs.

With your ported blower you have to remember that Boost will vary from car to car depending on your mods. It is important to remember that a Terminator making 450rwhp with 12 lbs. of boost is more efficient that another Terminator making the same power with 14 lbs. of boost.

Wicked2000GT

My buddy has a 4lb lower on his I believe, boostin about 14 or 15lbs
I can hang with him till about 3rd then he goes out a car length or so....he runs like low 11's....
I can ask him about it if you want, he works at Henessey!!!

Thanks! That would be great!

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
you just cant buy a pulley first you have to buy the whole kit that comes with a hub to mount the pulley. after that you can buy different rings for it. yes i highly would recomend a tune very shortly if not immediatley after installing the pulley. if you go higher than 4 lbs i recomend a new heat exchanger. when you spin the eaton faster it gets hotter, so you still got to try to keep the temps down. hope this helps

Wicked2000GT

Oh it does. I have the after market heat exchanger already. So what about a 4 lbs pulley kit? Would iit still be manditory to get the tune done?

Stangbuilder

Hey if you still need the best price (or advice) on those pully's, or any other part for that matter, call Greg at RPMM, he will hook you up. Over spinning the blower usually results in cavitation, where the air actually goes no where and boost drops off dramatically despite higher RPM's. A ported stock blower should be able to peek 16lbs with stock exhaust manifolds, 14 with headers, and yes a tune is definatly neccissary.

Wicked2000GT

One more question... so i have a 2.8 blower pulley and i'm going to get a 3.50 alternator pulley and a 6lb pulley. what size belt would i need? also do you guys do tuning? (RPMM) if you do... how much do you charge?