• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My transmission problems

Feared

Crazy Mach Driver
As many of you know I have a striped Transmission bolt on the top right (rear looking forward) of the bellhousing. Its completely rounded off and i have tried just about everything. Has anyone had a similar problem that could offer some advice?

One suggestion that im thinking about doing it taking off the intake manifold and the passenger side cam cover to access that bolt.

If i could get at it with a good angle i could smash a smaller socket on there, but there is no way to do that with the 2ft worth of extensions needed to get up there.

Or Im going to take it to a shop because im impatient and i want to enjoy my car before i leave for Kuwait.

ears

dont break it... theres no way youll get it out with a easy out. theres too much torque. youll break that biatch... and youll be really screwed

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
There are tools for stripped bolts. There are sockets that you hammer on and then when you turn them they cut into the bolt and grab it, but as you already said you can't get in there. I think there are also wrenches that are designed to grab stripped bolts. Check it out before doing anything rash.

ears

yea i was gonna say the same thing but i didnt remember if i had really seen those on the market or not! sounds like a good rout to go though. look into it man!

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Also if you pull the valve cover you may be able to get a pipe wrench on it. Are you trying to take it out so you can remove the transmission?

Feared

Crazy Mach Driver
yup, trying to drop the tranny to do the clutch. i have those sockets you are talking about, and its at such an angle that we cant hammer on the sockets, or they get cocked and dont work.

sdtraviesosd

I had a similar problem, but mine was on lower right (looking from rear of car). Stripped it and there was no tool that I could use to get that bisnitch out. Ended up having to drill out bolt. Had to use a metal bit with some "penetrating oil" :D and that did the trick because it only grabs onto the motor, the part that goes through the bell housing has no thread. Just remember its a Grade 8 Bolt, so it may take a lil bit

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
unless you or a friend are a seasoned machinist i woulndt suggest drilling through it. have you tried to raise the front of the motor to get a better angle? or pull your trimming around the shiffter off and see if you can get it out that way. other than that, try atleast drill the head off that way you can get to the shaft of the bolt and you have a little more room to deal with the seized bolt. once the trany is off try and make a couple flats to put a wrench on it, or try drilling if you are up to it. the problem with drilling is the by metal contact. you start on treated fasteners, then if you are not dead on the treads could pull the tip of the drill over and then you got a whole nother problem.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
unless you or a friend are a seasoned machinist i woulndt suggest drilling through it. have you tried to raise the front of the motor to get a better angle? or pull your trimming around the shiffter off and see if you can get it out that way. other than that, try atleast drill the head off that way you can get to the shaft of the bolt and you have a little more room to deal with the seized bolt. once the trany is off try and make a couple flats to put a wrench on it, or try drilling if you are up to it. the problem with drilling is the by metal contact. you start on treated fasteners, then if you are not dead on the treads could pull the tip of the drill over and then you got a whole nother problem.

Or you get a double whammy when the bit breaks inside. I would say do as DSG said and get the head of the bolt off. That way once the trans is out it will be much easier to get at it. Good Luck!

Foxman

the problem of cutting the bolt off is you cant get to it.. I think taking the intake and valve cover off is the best way to go... But i also dont know how stripped it is and taking the valve cover off will make room for cutting the bolt off as well

Renegade

who deleted my damn post?.... anyways, Nate and Steve will have that trans out and new clutch in in no time, you know i never thought a car would be harder to get off a trailer than on the trailer.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
who deleted my damn post?....

I wonder if your post didn't get accepted for whatever reasons. It happens to me sometimes. And with all these upgrades going on, who knows???? The site went down a few times this week with a hacker messing with the server. But I don't think anyone deleted it.

Feared

Crazy Mach Driver
I am in colorado right now, nate is going to tell shane when its done, and hes going to pick it up.

Thanks again Nate and shane!