• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Painted CS40's are in!!!!

Chaz Spaulding

Chazstang
It's a damn shame that those clowns didn't take the trouble to do them right in the first place. I had a set of the "real" Cobra Rs that were chrome and were on my Explorer (not the same set that I had powder-coated blue). The chrome didn't hold up too well and required a large amount of elbow grease to keep them looking nice. I sold them and got my current set of Red Chinese copies (SVE). I should have just bought a set of the argent "real" Cobra Rs.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I do like the wheels; they are unique and make the car stand out. What I do not like is those silly little tires everyone puts on their car. What happened to side walls for tracktion and handling; aren't these performance cars??

Chaz Spaulding

Chazstang
Keep in mind that there is a trade-off on the length of the sidewall in relation to the height of the tire. The main reason for the short sidewalls is that they force the tread to "stay put" better (not squirm around too much) than the same tire with a longer sidewall. At least theoretically. But the shorter you go, the less the shock absorbing action of the tire itself, so you have this damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't quandry. That's where the other stuff comes into play, such as: the rest of the suspension components, the use your car is set-up for, and the design of the tire itself.
I agree with you that some of the larger wheels/shorter sidewall combinations are still kind of hard to get used too. I have the stock 19 inchers on my 2011 and They look fine to me. But I had drawn the line before I got the car at 18" wheel/tires. Now, I'm looking at newer wheels designs for this car , and I don't want to go bigger than 19 ". Maybe one day I'll think 20" tires look normal. I've had to get used to every "growth" of the popular wheel/tire sizes since I got my Fox in 1989. Hell, I look back on my old Mazda RX-2s and 3s and realize that the 13" tires and 6" rims were stone age. But those cars sure could handle.
There was a beautiful old Ford truck at the recent Del Mar Goodguys Show that had a 5.0 Coyote motor in it and was megabucks. But the owner put these ridiculous sized wheels and tires on it. They were so damn big that I can't even imagine what was going on in his twisted mind. There was virtually no sidewall at all. Super expensive and totally worthless.

SnakeBit

well when you put larger wheels on you have to go with smaller sidewall to keep the radius.....with that being said this car handles 10 times better with the 20's on it then it ever did with the stock 18's on it...

Chaz Spaulding

Chazstang
It's not a mystery. That shorter sidewall doesn't flex as much as an 18" would. So you don't waste as much energy in the squirming sidewalls. But there is a point where this becomes silly. Otherwise we'd just run solid rubber tires. Or maybe take a 25" wheel and spray paint a microscopic amount of rubber around the rim.

SnakeBit

most people think these are 19's and everyone has their own preference i like a car that sits level has a good offset and wheels that fill the wells just right i also prefer road racing over drag although i do enjoy running down a 1/4 mile every once in awhile =o)

Chaz Spaulding

Chazstang
I agree.I do like drag racing as a sport but it's not the look I want for the street. And I am fond of some of the 20"wheels. Like yours.

boostedmach

I have a set Im putting on the 2012 5.0

Going to run 315 NT05R's in the back and try to keep her in the 10's

SnakeBit

I agree.I do like drag racing as a sport but it's not the look I want for the street. And I am fond of some of the 20"wheels. Like yours.
well they are Shelby wheels so they should look good on a shelby although I'm disappointed the finish didn't last more than a month....

GhostRider

well they are Shelby wheels so they should look good on a shelby although I'm disappointed the finish didn't last more than a month....

You know, I still can't believe that the finish didn't last very long. Did you ever take any picture of the wheels finish and consider sending them an e-mail letting them know your disappointment in their product? I would have to assume that they are/were covered under some kind of a warranty.... I know, it doesn't matter now, but I just can't get over that.

SnakeBit

actually i did call them and send them pictures and they never responded back after i sent the pictures when i called they said it was prob due to a chemical someone used to clean them and they were prob right a place i had it detailed at uses acid on the wheels to clean them and I'm pretty sure thats what caused it so shelby wouldn't cover that and the place that detailed of course denies any responsibility too lol

Chaz Spaulding

Chazstang
The "detailers" were morons. They should know what the particular products they use will and won't do. As time goes by, the status quo is to not accept responsibility for one's actions. This is an overriding reason that our country and the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket. I had my various cars done in the past by detailers and finally figured out that I do a better job than all of them. It's a pain but worth it to me.

GhostRider

Wow! That's some bull... I can't believe no one took responsibility for that. That's on the manufacture as well, because if it only lasted a month or two before tarnishing, that's not very good quality (even if it was exposed to chemicals from detailing) Honestly how many times could you possibly have detailed the car in a few months to have caused that? That's too bad that happened to you.