• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Probe: U.S. Navy Ships Raced Each Other at Sea

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588103,00.html?test=latestnews

WASHINGTON — The Navy says two warships raced each other for fun out on the Pacific Ocean, but it could not prove that the activity endangered the vessels.

A Navy inspector general report says four witnesses described the race off of Okinawa between the guided missile cruiser USS Cowpens and destroyer USS John S. McCain. But the witnesses differed on how close the two came to each other before the race was halted.

The report was part of a larger probe into allegations against the Cowpens commander, Capt. Holly Graf.

The racing incident took place in February of 2009 and the inspector general's report was finished in December. A Navy official speaking on condition of anonymity says Graf was relieved of her command in January for cruelty and maltreatment and for conduct unbecoming an officer.

So what?!?! Almost every ship I was on did this. Hell, I remember getting smoked by a Carrier when I was on a Fig.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I believe its call flexing the boiler or something like that. I remember hearing from one of the engineer on one of the ship I was on.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
Flexing is the correct term.

I remember the whole Battle Group "flexing" at the same time. We just happened to be in a straight line when it happened!

:rofl::rofl:

Shane361

I'm down for the loose lips sink ships but also down for the dont do anything you dont want the world to know. We use to have water balloon fights, wanna guess how close you have to be for that? Wooptie Dooo!! You know how close you have to be to do a vert rep??? ALOT CLOSER AND 100 TIMES MORE DANGEROUS. We'll call it training!!!:hello:

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
I'm down for the loose lips sink ships but also down for the dont do anything you dont want the world to know. We use to have water balloon fights, wanna guess how close you have to be for that? Wooptie Dooo!! You know how close you have to be to do a vert rep??? ALOT CLOSER AND 100 TIMES MORE DANGEROUS. We'll call it training!!!:hello:

:lol::lol:

Oh the stories I could tell!!!

ears

the gay things that happen when the media get involved! that is just straight up stupid! why not race a bit? i mean. ur on a big ass boat, lets see what shes got. hell what happens if an insodent occures and you do have to move fast. well then youd have no idea what the hell your ship could do! i would boil it all down to training. a commander of all people should know what his ship is capable of. and whats wrong with that! not a damn thing! pilots do that sh*it all the damn time. they may not come home and tell fox5, but god knows they do stuff just to challenge their abilities! like i said, its called training. who ever made the call to releive her of her duties, should be releived of their duties!!

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Ears; Read carefully....She wasn't relieved because of the racing incident.
She was relieved of duty for different reason. This came up as part of the investigation. She was relieved for maltreatment and conduct unbecoming of an officer.

Hell, I saw the Teddy Roosevelt flexing and there was actually a rooster tail coming off her fantail. That was an impressive site.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
Ears; Read carefully....She wasn't relieved because of the racing incident.
She was relieved of duty for different reason. This came up as part of the investigation. She was relieved for maltreatment and conduct unbecoming of an officer.

Yep, the ship is based out Yokosuka and some of the stuff I heard, WOW!!

02gt

I believe its call flexing the boiler or something like that. I remember hearing from one of the engineer on one of the ship I was on.

they dont have boilers they have gas turbin engines, i know i know....your a seal...LOL

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
Lol, This is just a friendly drag race, nothing bad.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
who cares.....this is stupid. i remember in 07 when 2 carriers pulled up next to us we races AV8b harriers vs FA-18's off the flight deck after the "show of force" to iran. this is some BS. i blame this on obamas hippi ass liberal bs administration. somehow it can be tied back to him. im sure of it.

Shane361

Drag racing? We were in a box formation doing carbon burns!!!! Look..it's rite there in GEEKS!!! :rofl:

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
all they have to say is they were in a screen kilo and the battle speed happened to be max speed :p that CO is a total bitch its good she got relieved 2 guys here one a chief and the other a 2nd class said she used to do lots of mean **** not only to enlisted but to the officers as well. and yes its called flexing a boiler. and yer UNREP's are real dangerous and your tied together with a span wire (a couple of them!) of amphibs when they ballast down into the water 5-12 feet! its just the media being well the media. always blowing hsit out of proportion and trying to make the military look bad