• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

WS California - Speed Challenge Poll

I want to beat on my street car hundreds of miles from home for a plastic trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2K7GTCS

Pure Street Speed Challenge

Do you like to drive fast?
Do you like to compete?

This is an opportunity for us to try a new type of event, where all of the Southern California chapters can come together and race their cars in a multi-event shootout!!

This would happen in one octane fueled weekend of hi-performance driving which combines three forms of speed trials:
  • Road Course
  • Drag Race
  • Top Speed
Sound interesting? Read on...

Willow Springs Raceway is located in Rosamond CA, exactly halfway between San Diego and Fresno. They have the 1.8 mile Streets of Willow road course, and recently opened their 1000 ft drag strip. Just 15 miles north of Willow Springs in Mojave, is the Mojave Mile Top Speed course.
There is a sweet spot on the schedule for both venues on the weekend of October 8th & 9th which would provide for this exact scenario. Road Course and Drag Race on Saturday @ Willow, then Top Speed @ Mojave on Sunday.

I propose a little friendly competition...

Awards for best single and average performance in each event, with trophies for 1st and 2nd place overall. Depending on who brings what, we may split this out into two groups: NA & Power Adder, with separate awards for each group.

I am estimating the cost to participate at around $350 (plus gas, food, and lodging). Figure on a 10 car minimum, with a max of 20.

For registered and insured street cars only, on DOT legal tires, and you must drive it between the two venues!

So what do ya think? Wanna play like the big boys?

2K7GTCS

I'm there if schedule permits

Excellent. I suspect your car would do quite well in all three events.

I have an idea for how to calculate the overall winners by creating a combined score based on weighted averages.
By taking the anticipated speed in mph for each event, and using the following formulas, the total "speed" can be established in a very fare way:

Road Course estimated speed base line = 67 mph
Drag Race estimated speed base line = 100 mph
Top Speed estimated speed base line = 133 mph

Road Course actual speed * 3 / 2
Drag Race actual speed
Top Speed actual speed * 3 / 4

An average performance would yield a score of approx. 300

Examples:

Average car
RC = 67 mph | score =100.5
DR = 100 mph | score =100
TS = 133 mph | score = 99.75
Total = 300.25

Good Drag car
RC = 62 mph | score = 93
DR = 110 mph | score = 110
TS = 140 mph | score = 105
Total = 308

Good Handling car
RC = 70 mph | score =105
DR = 100 mph | score = 100
TS = 137 mph | score = 102.75
Total = 307.75

This method would keep the scores very close, and make almost any decent car a contender.
I welcome any input or suggestions on how to make this fun, fair, and competitive.

2K7GTCS

So far we are half-way to maybe, as 5 of you have shown some interest. The more people who get involved, the better chance we'll have of making it "big time".
Imagine, with sponsorship, it might be possible to reduce the cost to participate, or even include a cash award to the winners!

To make this happen, we would obviously need the cooperation of the tracks where we will run. But I'm not even going to waste their time talking about it until we can provide a roster of at least 10 cars. I see this as a club event, and want to keep it in the family...

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I do enjoy the idea of scoring, however I do not believe any one event should have more emphasis than another. You take the fastest lap on the road course, fastest pass on the drag strip and fastest 1 mile run and add them all together. Low number wins and the winner is???

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
I need to start saving for that now, I am in for that.

2011GT500

Please let this land on a weekend I don't have to work it's 45 min away and I have been dying to get my car on the road corse

2K7GTCS

If it happens, I'm pretty sure it will be on a weekend.

I think he meant a weekend he doesn't have to work...

I do enjoy the idea of scoring, however I do not believe any one event should have more emphasis than another. You take the fastest lap on the road course, fastest pass on the drag strip and fastest 1 mile run and add them all together. Low number wins and the winner is???

We could do either total time (lowest is best), or total speed (highest is best). Since they do not measure the time at the Top Speed run, it will probably have to be based on combined speed (it is a speed challenge after all). If the formulas are confusing, or seem unfair, we could just use the raw speed totals.

Average car
RC = 67 mph | score =67
DR = 100 mph | score =100
TS = 133 mph | score = 133
Total = 300

Good Drag car
RC = 62 mph | score = 62
DR = 110 mph | score = 110
TS = 140 mph | score = 140
Total = 312

Good Handling car
RC = 70 mph | score = 70
DR = 100 mph | score = 100
TS = 137 mph | score = 137
Total = 307

This method favors the drag car, or at least makes a poor performance on the road coarse seem like less of a penalty. I like it!

Oh, do I need to mention how uncool it would be to bring a rented 'Vette and try to steal the trophy???!!

2K7GTCS

Is this happening

Yes!

We have had a very positive response so far, with 4 Yes's (counting me and you), and 4 Maybe's. The poll is open through July 7th, and I reckon if we can get at least one more person to commit, then we'll start taking deposit's and making plans with each of the venue's.

We should have this locked-in by the end of July, or early August at the latest.

SN95cobra04

Is October 8th & 9th the for sure dates? That is a Monday and Tuesday... If its the weekend before or after I'm SO down for this event!!! I've been wanting to get out on Willow and top my car out too. I'll start a fund just for this if I can go.

Ford1288

Donator
Wow, how did this thread die? I was on deployment last year when this idea came up. This is an idea that could take WS far, or it could just be a fun in the club type of thing. This would be sweet, any chance of wanting to make this happen?