• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Subzero's car

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Yes, that is correct. It works the opposite of the Supercharger Pulley. Smaller crank pulley equals less boost. Larger crank pulley equals more boost. In fact, changing the crank pulley has a HUGE effect on boost.

Call Kenne Bell. They may have not thought you needed it with your kit.

I had a Steeda underdrive pulley on it. But put the stock pulley back on when the S/C went on. So, I should put the underdrive pulley back on and take the stock pulley off?

Ford1288

Donator
Depends, are you still unhappy with the boost level and want take it down a couple more lbs? Correct me if im wrong but you would need a tune again also.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Depends, are you still unhappy with the boost level and want take it down a couple more lbs? Correct me if im wrong but you would need a tune again also.

I just need to know where my boost level is. I'm not comfortable stomping on the car if I don't know what level it is. I want to know for sure for the sake and safety of the car. I don't need to blow the engine right now. And yes, I will need to get another tune.

M

Mustangcwo

Holly overposting Batman...Somebody end this thread...:rofl:

ears

hhhhhaaaaa,,,,,, i have a 9 inch crank pulley driving the procharger!!!! but its on a dedicated drive set up! and in combination with my 3.4 blower bulley, im told that it should get me around 20 to 22 lbs. get the idea danny, the standard crank pulley on my car is much smaller, wich would net me less boost. as of now i have a prodampner driving the serpentine and a bigger pulley driving the blower. now if my blower were mounted in line with the serpentine then i would have to drop the size of the pulley on the blower for more boost. but now i can increase the size of the crank pulley instead, which is less likely to slip than dropping the size of the blower pulley,,,,,, ya know,,,,,, less grip on the small pulley and more grip on the larger. i shure hope this helps atleast a bit!

but this brings me to a question. yall are talkin about larger and smaller idlers. now when i first was doin research on blowers, i was told....... blower 101...... never ever ever put under drive pulleys in line with a blower pulley, its extremely likely to cause things like slip and blower surge, and destroyed belts. what is yalls take on this??

ears

ppppppppppppppssssssssssssssssss,,,,,,,,,,, dont close the thread just yet,,, sure its a bit long, but for those of us who have been tuned in since the begginning. were still getting atleast some valuable info out of it..... if nothing else from dannys experience.

spdpilot

I had a Steeda underdrive pulley on it. But put the stock pulley back on when the S/C went on. So, I should put the underdrive pulley back on and take the stock pulley off?

I hate to tell you what to do, because I don't know your setup/kit from Kenne Bell. You should write down all the your pulley sizes, note your boost psi, then call Kenne Bell with the info. knowing what you have now and the current psi, will tell them what you need to get there from here.

If you want to drop your boost psi, then yes, putting on the "smaller" pulley will do it...BUT..... there is a right combination of pulleys that will get what you want.

Every car is different. Some years have different size crank pulleys. Also, compression ratio can be different between motors. All adds up to different boost amounts.

I would recommend keeping the rear wheel hp at 425 or less. 450 max. That is what will determine if your motor holds up. And that seems to be the range for these motors. What ever boost gets you there with a safe tune, but anything above about 14psi seems to be when you can start having other issues. Like pegging the MAF, or maxing out the cycles on the fuel injectors, or fuel supply/regulation issues. Meaing fuel pumps etc. That also seems to be the psi where you need to start thinking about a bigger heat exchanger, belt slip....blah blah blah. You get the picture.

Crank pulleys are a pain in the rear to change. So FIRST I would call KB and get their recommendation on pulleys based on what psi you are getting now.

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
Great Numbers Danny. If I where you I would do what Bruce said just take it to another shop and pay a little for a piece of mind. I am taking mine to Spankin times to get mine tuned by Adam. Once the Cams and Intake are on the car. Lots of people recomend him. If you read through a few mags most of the fast cars on the west coast tracks are tuned by Adam. I just dont want to short cut anything since I am adding a cou[le thousand at the car. ( Just my two cents)

02gt

Great Numbers Danny. If I where you I would do what Bruce said just take it to another shop and pay a little for a piece of mind. I am taking mine to Spankin times to get mine tuned by Adam. Once the Cams and Intake are on the car. Lots of people recomend him. If you read through a few mags most of the fast cars on the west coast tracks are tuned by Adam. I just dont want to short cut anything since I am adding a cou[le thousand at the car. ( Just my two cents)

must have pretty good interenet access if he's able to get this far on the forum...LOL :lol:

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
no well play once i come back nor worries. i have some stuff too ;) glad to see your baby finally coming along im very happy for you bro

Mach1Marauder

Dang.........That MAY be a little rough.
I have the 2010 TEXAS BULLITT / MACH 1 SHOOTOUT

When: April 23rd-25th

Where: Lufkin, Texas

What: Car show, drag racing, parking lot party

ANd then PSCA
May 1 - 2 / Las Vegas, NV. (Day Race)
K&N Filters "Racin' 4 Jason" Nationals
A little break
PSCA May 21 - 23 / Fontana, CA. (Day Race)
California Nationals

I'm NOT going for this damn drive...
10th Annual NMRA Ford Nationals
Presented by Downs Ford Motorsport

Atco, New Jersey
May 14-16, 2010
Atco Raceway
3rd Event

But I do want these two!

7th Annual Aeromotive NMRA Ford Nationals

Milan, Michigan
June 11-12, 2010
Milan Dragway

5th Annual Nitto Tire NMRA/NMCA Super Bowl of Street Legal Drag Racing

Joliet, Illinois
July 15-18, 2010
Route 66 Raceway

I still have to find a bit more $$$, but I have some irons in the fire for those and maybe quite a few more...........I HOPE!!!!:rock:

xavier296

FYI, a tune is probably not necessary with a pulley change unless you want the timing to be raised alittle to maximize power with lower boost. I dynoed the redfire 3 pulls with the same tune with 3 different pulleys in a row and the air fuel was always spot on. I may have had slightly lower power levels with the lowest boost due to not adjusting the timing, but it allows me to make pulley changes without any other changes. Theory to practice.