• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Subzero's car

Mach1Marauder

Wow, just got off work and this thread really took off. To where, I don't know, but took off. LOL! But I appreciate everyone's input and Orange thank you for your concern about my car. I guess the only thing I can do is hook my gauges up once they all arrive and see where they are at. Bruce also did suggest that I take it to another dyno just to double check on the boost number also. But nonetheless, the car is tune and soon, I'll give it a test on the track once I get all the essentials in the car, the gauges, tranny cooler, and of course the slicks.

Mach1 and all others interested, heres the file on the final run today.

PICT5624.jpg

Danny
DON'T go wail on your car!!!
No offence to ANYONE here, but either it's taking too long to transition from closed loop to open loop once it goes WOT(wide open throttle) or the settings are wrong for it to go open loop.
14:1 at 10 psi is not a safe tune

Mach1Marauder

Oh yeah while I'm at it I haven't heard our resident/president experts explain how the car made 429ft lbs of tq a day earlier and 389ft lbs today on the same dyno? Please don't say the weather. :lol:

Psssssss...........locked VS unlocked converter.:hello:

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Danny
DON'T go wail on your car!!!
No offence to ANYONE here, but either it's taking too long to transition from closed loop to open loop once it goes WOT(wide open throttle) or the settings are wrong for it to go open loop.
14:1 at 10 psi is not a safe tune

Umm. Thank you.

Stangguy

It depends on what RPM they hit it. Autos with torque converters on a dyno can be tough sometimes. That would be my guess.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, just got off work and this thread really took off. To where, I don't know, but took off. LOL! But I appreciate everyone's input and Orange thank you for your concern about my car. I guess the only thing I can do is hook my gauges up once they all arrive and see where they are at. Bruce also did suggest that I take it to another dyno just to double check on the boost number also. But nonetheless, the car is tune and soon, I'll give it a test on the track once I get all the essentials in the car, the gauges, tranny cooler, and of course the slicks.

Mach1 and all others interested, heres the file on the final run today.

PICT5624.jpg

Another important factor is that JBA usually measures air/fuel ratios via a tailpipe sniffer. This method has proven to be an excellent way of measuring the ratio, but it is not perfect at low rpm. At low rpm, an engine may not be producing enough gas to displace all of the atmospheric air in the tailpipe, and this will produce a false lean reading because of the extra oxygen - as one can see in the above chart.

Danny you going to Irvine event? I will bring my laptop and we can take some readings...

Shane361

Another important factor is that JBA usually measures air/fuel ratios via a tailpipe sniffer. This method has proven to be an excellent way of measuring the ratio, but it is not perfect at low rpm. At low rpm, an engine may not be producing enough gas to displace all of the atmospheric air in the tailpipe, and this will produce a false lean reading because of the extra oxygen - as one can see in the above chart.

Danny you going to Irvine event? I will bring my laptop and we can take some readings...

I thought the tailpipe was the shitty way of measure? Best would be before the cats have any say so on the matter.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
I thought the tailpipe was the shitty way of measure? Best would be before the cats have any say so on the matter.

you are correct but, some still use this method.. Test have shown 1/2 point to a full point off.. And more factors are with cats and without cats...

JBA GUY

When Bruce tunes a car they weld in a bung before the cat so that AFR would have been pre-cat.

I used to work there so I know this for sure.

Dustin
Pertronix Performance Products.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
When Bruce tunes a car they weld in a bung before the cat so that AFR would have been pre-cat.

I used to work there so I know this for sure.

Dustin
Pertronix Performance Products.

Thanks for the clarification... I stand corrected

JBA GUY

Ok.....lets just be fair here. Nobody really knows why the 2 boost readings are different. Let's just leave it at that. I finished my tune today and the cars drive real well and it feels good. Bruce just wanted to be safe and don't hurt my car and I appreciate that so the tune is on the conservative side. But he finished the tune and here's the numbers.

395 rwhp 389 tq

PICT5622.jpg

Looks like a nice gain from the blower. With the addition of the converter the numbers will read lower also.

What did it dyno before the blower with your bolt-ons?

Dustin

Mach1Marauder

Sorry, but a tail pipe sniffer if the POOREST way to sample A/F readings and not for the above reasons. When I spec headers, I have an additional bung installed IN the collector(not in one of the primaries as some Bassanni have the regular O2 positioned!) and on other cars. it's as close to the exhaust header as practical, given the year model set up. Some cars we just use the second set of O2 bungs because the owner doesn't want another added for whatever reason. Just going thru the gears is plenty of flow to remove any "air" from the tail pipe and nothing can get back in IF the sampling tube is long enough. Exhaust leaks and the long delay(kinda like the transport delay in a tune) can also play havoc when tuning and evaluating the state of tune.

Please make no mistake. I'm not here to bash anyone or any shop. I'm here to give clear, clean and concise info. With me, facts are facts and there is no gray area with me. Just that damn military upbringing!:rock::rock:

Tommy

WOW!!!

Where did you copy and paste that from?

Good find! :rock: